Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Gastric Polyps

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Gastric Polyps

I recently underwent and EGD and it was found I have gastric polyps.  This has raised a little concern due to my lifetime battle with nasal polyposis and multiple polyps in ascending colon.  Could possibly be unrelated but maybe due to an inflammatory response to something ingested?  I do take PPI's daily and have read that can increase chances of gastric polyps.  I will be undergoing the gastric sleeve procedure and am hoping this wont be a problem in the future.  

I am only 43 years old and don't want to have to worry about this, just want to find out how to figure out what is the cause of all these polyps.
The following statement is from an authoritative source:  Feldman: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 9th ed.Copyright © 2010 Saunders, An Imprint of Elsevier
GASTRIC POLYPS
Gastric polyps consist predominantly of three types:  fundic gland polyps (≈50%), hyperplastic polyps (≈40%), and adenomatous polyps (≈10%).
The clinical course of fundic gland polyps is generally benign, and they are detected with increasing frequency in the era of proton pump inhibitor (PPI) use.
What you have read about the relationship between PPI use and an increased incidence of gastric polyps is correct.  In a series of 599 consecutive patients who underwent upper endoscopy, use of PPIs for 5 years or longer was associated with a significantly increased risk of fundic gland polyps (The rate of malignant transformation of fundic gland polyps is generally quite low (≈1%) and confined to polyps larger than 1 cm. Hyperplastic polyps are almost always benign lesions.
The message in the preceding is that gastric polyps are not uncommon, possibly related to the long term use of PPI’s and, most importantly, almost always benign.  
I did a brief literature search and found no evidence of a relationship between gastric polyps, nasal polyps or colonic polyps.
I suggest that you follow the advice of the Gastroenterologist who performed the EGD, regarding long-term monitoring of your gastric and colonic polyps.
Good luck