Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Going on 7 weeks with antibiotics and still sick!

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I had Pneumonia 5 1/2 months ago......then got Roto-Virus...was sick for 4-5 weeks at that time.  Then just 4 months after that I contracted Pneumonia again, but in the other lung this time.  Took more antibiotics (Zithromax/Cipro)...and the Xray showed the Pneumonia to be gone..but in its place I had a bad case of Bronchitis and Infection of the Sinus cavities.  I am allergic to Penicillian/Sulfas......so am now on my 3rd of 5 pills (750mgs) of Leviquin.  Still coughing up mucus and not feeling great yet.  I haven no health coverage and this last bout has cost me 3 doctor visits/2 Xrays and the 5 pills/Leviquin were $120.00!  Is there anything I can do to get rid of these problems without seeing the doctor/and getting more antibiotics?  Holistic treatments perhaps?  My husband said I should be walking alot to clear my "chest"...as he swears that resting (as the doctor said to do) makes the situation worse/last longer, etc.  Thanks for any input......I am 58 years old and I know the old you get, the worse and more deadly Pneumonia can be.
The important question is why an otherwise apparently healthy woman should suddenly start having recurrent upper and lower respiratory tract infections.  Unless you have been aspirating food, drinks or gastric/stomach contents due to reflux, this series of events suggests the possibility of an acquired immunodeficiency state, the most likely of which would be, common variable immunodeficiency (CVID).  This is not a rare condition and it is treatable.  It is acquired but it is not acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).

I suggest that you discuss this possibility with your doctor and ask to be blood tested for it.  I understand your concern about incurring more medical expenses but this is really important because if you have it and are not treated, you will continue to have ever worsening, ultimately life-threatening infections.

One final note, while it would be extraordinary, at age 58, to have lung infections as the first manifestation of cystic fibrosis (CF), such instances have been reported.