Respiratory Disorders Community
Green specks in nasal mucous

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Green specks in nasal mucous

One day a few weeks ago I noticed some green spots on the tissue when I blew my nose.  The mucous itself is clear, not green, though.  The green spots themselves look sort of like algae, varying in color from blue-green to dark green and are pretty small.  They have been present at least once to several times a day for the past 2 to 3 weeks but other than my nose being semi-runny I feel fine and have no symptoms of any illness.  I have tried doing a websearch but can only find information on green mucous.  Has anyone else had this problem or maybe know what it is or how to get rid of it?
Every time I get  viral bronchitis, it begins w/clear mucus & progresses to green specs in it then gradually on to all green then to green/brown. Maybe you have an infection that your body is fighting off & so far it's not bad.  If you haven't had this problem before, go to www.viralbronchitis.com & follow the instructions for home treatment.
You have a sinus infection. Go to the Dr and get antibiotics for a 7-10 day like Amoxacillin, Bactrum, Augmentin, etc... Augmentin is great.

Also get some cortizone nasal spray which also helps the congestion and infection to clear up. I have one doctor I like because he will give an antibiotic shot and steroid shot and it works great.

If it gets worse it could go to your ear or lungs and you can get bronchitis, etc. Also ear infections are very painful if you have had one of those it can bring you to tears. Don't wait, just go to the dr and tell him your symptoms and he will give you some medication to help.

I'm not a doc. But I've seen this. I've got green dot now, it seems to appear with a common cold or virus. Same w/ blue dots, its seem like its just a different strain of virus. Last week I had black dot sickness, new to me.  It turned out that I got a new sickness, with different symptoms, like body aches, fever, coughing. Lasted longer and stronger... I have no more info. I just put 2&2 together to make my own explanation.
I'm having this same problem right now.  It's sort of freaking me out.  I've never had anything like this happen and I'm 47 yrs old!  It's weird.  I felt like I was going to vomit but I sort of just couged up thick spit or clear mucus, not sure which but there were these blue/green specks or dots all of the tissue.  In the process, I threw up just a little of what I had for supper but the specks were all over the tissue.  I thought I could see the pattern through my spit up but realized my tissue has no pattern?  Anyone else ever seen this?  I'm not really sick.  This stomach upset sort of came on all at once which I was laying in bed in the middle of the night. Finally, I thought I better go to the bathroom and get the garbage can just in case.