Respiratory Disorders Community
HELP IS IT COPD/ BLACK MOLD OR CANCER?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

HELP IS IT COPD/ BLACK MOLD OR CANCER?

Back in September 2005 I had a double discetomy (I think thats spelled right). Anyway they put in 2 cadaver bones and titanium plates. Several months later when I came home from vacation in Florida I started having a problem where I felt the need to constantly take deep breaths I went o Dr. after Dr. after Dr. and had test after test and they all said the same thing that I was fine. As a side note we did find mold growing behind the walls in our bedroom. Anyway the following year we moved to Florida and about two months after moving I was diagnosed with COPD. I was a smoker for about 20 years and quit, but after quitting I started having a constant need to clear my throat and it feels like I am clearing from deep in my liungs not my actual throat or at least that is the way it feels. This has been going on now for 2 years and I have again been to Dr. after Dr. after Dr. and everyone just looks at me like I am stupid and claims they can't figure it out or looks for the easy answer. So any clues? Oh I am 49 yearls old now and weigh 300 pounds and am not Diabetic.....
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Repeated episodes of dry cough or throat irritation could most probably be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Mold exposure can cause allergic symptoms. Exposure to allergens causes a runny nose with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough. Cough is a protective mechanism by the body as it helps to prevent infections. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
am 6 years not smoking and i still bring up phlegm . if you have copd and there's no dought then listen to this stay away from all antihistamine it drys your lungs and you don't want that . stay away from all antidepressents they will give you tightness of the chest .  stay away from claritin and all that antihistamine family ,, and all anti inflamatory . that's if you are Moderate copd or severe  . Mild  copd  you should be ok taking all the  above drugs but keep them in mind .

Dr Norm