Respiratory Disorders Community
Haemophilus Influenza

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Haemophilus Influenza

For the past five years my symptoms are as follows: throat clearing (worse with certain foods) cough, postnasal drip. This can lead to headaches, pain in the face, teeth and eye, constant clearing of the nose, indigestion? and regular culture samples of Haemophilus Influenza.

Investigations carried out at onset are:  HRCT scan of the thorax, conclusion: normal examination and a CT scan of the Paranasal Sinuses. Conclusion: localised soft tissue shadowing in lower part of her left maxillary antrum, minor soft shadowing around left ostiometal unit, some minor pneumatisation of the right middle tubinate with a slightly irregular nasal septum and mild diffuse mucosal thickening over both inferior turbinates. Blood workup cd3, cd4 and cd8 normal. Lymphocyte count slightly low, Immunologist not concerned. Furthermore, Cystic Fibrosis Screen: Mutations screened [32] showed that i am a carrier of the p.phe508del mutation [Heterozygote]. Bronchoscopy showed inflammation of the airways, it was mentioned that this could be down to the influenza.

Immunologist wondered whether a case of GERD had been overlooked? Barrium swallow organised. The regular influenza attacks make me feel below par and concerns me most. Everyone has drawn a blank. I would be greatful for any advice given.

I would like to thank you in advance for your expert opinion.

Kind regards

lily

This discussion is related to Infection or GERD ?.
You have certainly had an exhaustive evaluation.  There indeed are known to be mild forms of bronchiectasis related to having a CF carrier genetic makeup.  Colonization with H.Flu indicates there may well be subtle structural airway problems and your pulmonologist may want to place you on bronchodilators or consider mechanical therapies such as an expiratory flutter valve to clear your retained mucoid secretions.  Good question and sorry to hear of your troubles
Dear Dr Wilson

Thank you for your reply.

In regard to Brochiectasis, the pulmonologist was specifically looking for this and the CT scan was Negative. (Normal Scan) This was ruled out completely. I have only just found out about the mutation [Heterozygote] and everyone involved stated, no ill health relating to this mutation. Today i received a telephone call to say my two children are a carrier of this mutation. [Heterozygote] The genetic counseller stated again, no ill health relating to this mutation, pulmonologist no CF risk. Are these people wrong? Would you kindly expand.

Bronchoscopy only showed inflammation due to Haemophilus influenza? The secretions only cover the bottom of the sputum bottle and can be in appearance purulent or mucopurulent.

The onset started after bilateral whitlows of the thumbs and a opaque discoloration of the nails and no hair growth. (now normal)This could have been related to the stress of my husbands accident. After conflicting reports, i have been told the Barrium Swallow shows signs of esophagus reflux.

I had a normal childhood, never smoked and 40 yrs of age, on onset.

I understand that flulavil is available in the US for Type A&B would it be worth getting vaccinated, this is not available in the UK but will contact GSK?

Sorry for re-iterating

Thank you for your advice

Kind regards

Lily