Respiratory Disorders Community
Having troble breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Having troble breathing

I am having troble breathing for 2 weeks. I am using breathing treatments every 2 hours. But it seems like its not working. My chest, throut, and back hurts. I am coughing so much my head starts to hurt. Should I go to the ER?
Do you have a respiratory disorder, that you say that you are using breathing treatments? It's hard to say what you need to do, without any specifics. I have asthma and when it gets severe, I also get very bad coughing all day and night long. But I use a peak flow meter, so I know how badly my airways are becoming blocked. One thing I've noticed when I'm getting to the point of requiring medical assistance is that the skin pulls in between my chest ribs while breathing. It looks strange but definitely signifies that you have moderate to severe airflow restriction. You should then see your doctor as soon as you can. If you can't wait then go to the ER.

If you do use a peak flow meter, then if you are below 50% of your best peak flow (for asthma), then you should go to the hospital. If you have COPD, then you will have already a low lung function and really should go in and get help.