Respiratory Disorders Community
Hemi-diaphram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hemi-diaphram

I am a 38 year old male and overweight but in relatively good health.  I woke up on MLK day with what I would call a crick in the right side of my neck but somewhat different than in the past as I could move my head and it did not affect the level of discomfort.  The discomfort was mild and nagging.  The previous night I had been wheezing somewhat and thought I was getting a upper resp. infection.  On MLK day(the day I woke up with the crick) I went to the doctor and they took chest xray and compared to previous x rays and said I had a hemi diaphram on the right side.  As it was explained to me.  The diaphram is keeping the lung collapsed on the right side.  I had a CT scan later that day and the same was confimed as the x ray.  Later in the week I went to a pulomnoligist (excuse the spelling) and he listened to my lungs and did a test of my lungs.  He confirmed that I had 50% of what would be expected as far as lung volume or something from the test.  He also listened to my chest and said that the right side was not functioning properly.  I am scheduled for a "sniff test" tommorrow to determine I guess if the diaphram on the right side is functioning at all.  He said that he thought that the neck pain was related but that we would look at that after the sniff test.  I am sure since the nerve that controls the diaphram is where the pain was for the past week in my neck and started the same day as my hemi-diaphram symptoms that they are related.  Also, I have had no trama of any kind during that time period.  I guess my concern is that he doesn't seem to be real concerned with the pain in my neck which is almost gone now.  I feel that that is the root of the problem.  I was able to convince the doctor to also xray, scan, or something on my neck which is scheduled after the sniff test.  Do you have any suggestions?  Am I following the right path.  I feel fine other that being somewhat shorter in breath than usual.  How could this happen w/o any trama?  Is there a posibility of a tumor or something in my neck causing this?  Please advise.
Tags: hemi