Respiratory Disorders Community
Hiatal hernia, breathing problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hiatal hernia, breathing problems

Is it possible that a moderate sized hiatal hernia can cause breathing difficulties?   Could it press on the diaphragm and cause me to have wheezing difficulties?  I have a scheduled appointment with a surgeon to see if surgery would be of benefit to me.
I'm just wondering what the srgeon said.  I have been having a horrible time with my hiatal hernia and GERD.  I go back to my GI doc tomorrow for my 6 month check up for my GB removal.  Would just like to know how you are coming along!

Shell
I think so...if a hernia is big enough, I am sure that breathing problems. In fact, I know of a few people who had a large enough hernia to cause horrible breathing problems. It is good that you are looking into your options..I hope that you find answers soon.
I had a hiatal hernia and at times when I slept on my side it seemed to press on the lungs and restrict breathing.  It got really bad and food started choking me in my sleep to the point that I was gagging and choking in my sleep and couldn't breath.  I had to have surgery and it eliminated both problems.  However it caused a few others.  
I to have a hiatal hernia and used to get reflux if I ate too much, or too soon before going to bed.  I now eat smaller portions more frequently and eat nothing after 6pm.  I has been a tremendous help.  Also, cutting out the foods that caused the worst of it, like enchalada for dinner, seems to help as well.  I have no problems with this if I eat like I should and lay off the greasy, spicey foods.  Non greasy spicey foods do not seem to make a difference.  Also, I limit the pizza intake.