Respiratory Disorders Community
High Eosinophis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

High Eosinophis

9108310?1368461659
I just spent 8 days in the hospital because my eosinophils was up to 65%. I went in because my stomach was hurting really bad. I am 52 year old women and feel ok for the most part. I am on prednisone which brought down the eosinophils to 12% on the first day and back to normal a week later. I have tapper down from 60MG to now 20MG. They will keep tapering down if my blood work stay normal. My issue is tingling in my hands and up my arms. I also have pain in my left leg and numbness. They did all kinds of test such as bone marrow, biopsy on my small intestine, chest x-rays, ultrasound. Biopsy on my lungs as few years back and everything looks good. Why the numbness, some pain and  tingling. Is there a certain name for this kind of  eosinophils disorder?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

As I understand you are being worked up to detect the cause for eosinophilia. The different components of the WBC are the neutrophils (50-70%), lymphocytes (30%), basophils (1%), eosinophils (1-3%) and monocytes (4-6%).

Eosinophilia is usually detected by a blood test, usually as part of a complete blood count. A count of more than 500 eosinophils per microliter of blood is generally considered eosinophilia in adults. A count of more than 1,500 eosinophils per microliter of blood that lasts for several months is called hypereosinophilic syndrome.

Hypereosinophilic syndrome tends to have an unknown cause or results from certain types of cancer, such as bone marrow or lymph node cancer. Considering that you have numbness and pain in the limbs, a CT scan of the spine or head may help to detect the cause. Also, are any lymph glands palpable? If present a biopsy may be needed.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I saw a neurologist last week, he is sending me for a MRI on my back and neck,  and a EMG. They are calling me the mystery women because they don’t why my Eosinophils went up so high. I know Eosinophils in rare  cases can cause tingling and numbness from nerve damage, the neurologist told me I might have more tingling and numbness as I come down on the prednisone. If I do, he told me to stright to the ER.  I am still on 20Mg until I go back for blood work to insure my eosinophils are still down. I'm going for blood work this Thursday and then up to Boston to see a Allergy and Immunology. I live in CT. His Clinical Interests are Asthma Immunodeficiency Rhinosinusitis Cough Nasal polyposis Drug hypersensitivity Dermatitis Urticaria Immunology Food sensitivity Anaphylaxis Angioedema Eosinophilic disorders. I have been seeing him once a year for about 6 years now. There are no Lymph glands palpable. I had this same thing back in 2004. Since I don't have vasculitis they have ruled out churg-Strauss Syndrome.