Respiratory Disorders Community
High RDW (blood test) and low Hemoglobin and Hematocrit, why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I have had an x-ray in past that showed some Copd.  am developing  a high level of RDW (blood test) and low hemoglobin and low hematocrit.  Anyone have anything similiar?  what is the cause?
I know that anemia can occur for many reasons, I myself am anemic and take iron daily to try to keep my levels within acceptable ranges. There is iron deficiency, (which I have as I don't seem to absorb it well), If I remember correctly, the RDW means the red cell distribution width...a high distribution means that there is a wide variation as to the size of the red blood cells. This has happened to me several times, low hematocrit, low hemoglobin and the same high RDW as you. From what docs told me, it meant that my anemia came on within a short period of time. Some of the meds that I take (IV antibiotics especially) drop my levels fairly fast sometimes.
You should discuss this with your doctor as to the cause, only a good examination by him or her would be the best way to determine what caused this in your case. Like I said, there are many reasons for these kinds of readings.
I hope that this has helped....Sunny
I have High RDW and low hemoglobin (9) and Hematocrit. Contrasting what Sunny posted, I have tested anemic (Hemoglobin 12 or 13) for years, and taking IV antibiotics completed cleared up the anemia, to my Doc's surprise (for a diff condition).

Seeing a specialist now, not finding too many answers, but with numbers this low, Docs are surprised that I am not bed ridden.  Actually I work 16 hr days, and can blast out 8 mi run, no problem.

I am starting to wonder if low Hemo is related to living at altitude (over 6,000ft)...