Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Hilar Adenopathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hilar Adenopathy
Could anyone tell me what Hilar Adenopathy is? Should I be concerned?
The term refers to enlargement of lymph nodes at a specific location within the chest; the area adjacent to the major blood vessels and large bronchial tubes.  The nodes can be enlarged as a result of infection, tumors and diseases of unknown cause, such as one called sarcoidosis.  The interpretation of hilar adenopathy will often be influenced by the presence of other signs and symptoms.  
Occasionally, the cause of these enlarged nodes can be presumed to be benign and diagnosable without further studies on the basis of specific features of the enlargement.

You should ask your doctor what he/she deems to be the most likely cause of this abnormal finding and what further testing should be done to determine the cause.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker