Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Hilar Adenopathy

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hilar Adenopathy

I've been diagnosed recently with Hilar Adenopathy but lost my health insurance soon after.
I am a 49yr old female with family history of lung cancer. In 1993 my left leg was amputated below the knee due to Melanoma. In 1999 Drs found 7 masses in my lungs that were proven benign.
In early 2012 I had an abnormal chest exray where several masses were appreciated. Drs felt at that time the best course of action was to wait 6 months and then repeat the exray. Then I lost my insurance.
Should this newer diagnosis of Hilar Adenopathy be of particular concern?
I am frantically trying to obtain health insurance but have so far found nothing affordable.
Thank You.

Neecydee
Tags: hilar adenopathy, Chest, Melanoma, Cancer
I am so sorry to hear of your plight regarding health insurance and hope that you will soon be re-insured.

Your post suggest that you are now at least 6 months beyond the 6 months your doctors suggested you wait, in early 2012.  In assessing the significance of the recently diagnosed hilar adenopathy, it would be important to know the status of masses noted about a year ago.  Are they still there?  Have they increased in size so that you now have a combination of those masses and hilar adenopathy?  If those early 2012 masses are unchanged or even regressed, then your question relates only to the cause of the bilateral hilar adenopathy.

There are multiple causes of hilar adenopathy from benign (a disease called Sarcoidosis) to malignant and, given your history, the latter would be a realistic consideration.

The best advice I can give is, with or without insurance, that you consult with the pulmonary specialist who, given the many factors that must be considered in any evaluation, would be the best person to determine the cause of the hilar adenopathy and the minimum number of tests, radiologic or other, that will need to be done to determine the best course of action.  It might also be useful for you to review the official radiologist interpretation of the hilar enlargement to see if the report included speculation on the most likely cause of this abnormality.

The minimum that should be done at this time, in view of your finances, is for you to request that the pulmonary specialist review your most recent chest X-ray.

Good luck