Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Hilar Prominence

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hilar Prominence

Finding of my chest x-ray is as below

X-RAY CHEST (PA VIEW)
Lung parenchyma clear.
Hilar and mediastinal shadows normal.
Cardiac shadow size within normal limits.
Costophrenic angles clear.

Kindly advise me about my finding.
whether i should go for CT Scan for further check up?

Gender: Male
Age:     41
Smoker: yes (2 to 3 times in 24 hrs.)
The hilum is an is an anatomically defined area located in the center of the chest and visible on a chest X-ray.  There is a right and a left hilum.  The structures within the hilum are major bronchi, pulmonary blood vessels and lymph nodes.  The hilar lymph  nodes are normally not visible on the plain chest X-ray but can be seen, when enlarged in response to a wide range of disease.  Enlargement of any of the bronchi, blood vessels or nodes is often described as “prominent”, when it is not clear which structure is enlarged. There is a wide range of normal and when the enlargement is subtle, radiologists may differ on whether there is or is not prominence.  The structures responsible for the prominence can be clarified by a CT Scan.