Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Hives when doing outdoor exercise
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hives when doing outdoor exercise

I am a very active 34-year old woman living in Miami.  I have seasonal allegies to begin with, but I've noticed lately that when I do exercise outside, particularly running and cycling, that I develop a rash (or it could be hives) on my arms and sometimes on my legs.  

This rash is blotchy red and it stings and itches.  It was bad this morning when I went cycling, and I was also suffering from hayfever.  When I stop the exercise it goes away immediately. I also wore sunblock, though I don't think that is the cause.

I'm concerned, because I adore these activities, and I don't want to have to stop them (I hope I'm not allergic to my favorite sports!).  This rash is also very bothersome when I am doing the activity.

I don't always get this rash - when I am biking in other states or when I am working out indoors, I don't think I get it.

If you know what this is, or have any advice for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks very much.  Randi M.