Respiratory Disorders Community
How Do You Stop Mucus?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

How Do You Stop Mucus?!

I am a 29 year old male who smokes irregularly,and I have been having mucus problems for years.

My problem is that my body creates an excess amount of mucus, which I continuously need to get rid of through blowing my nose or spitting, which has made my life basically revolve around my mucus.

Are there drugs or other things you can do which would stop the production of mucus?  I have taken mucinex, which just thins the mucus and actually makes me cough more to get it all out...but it comes back.  Sudafed does help, but I can't take that every day all the time.

What can I do to reduce the amount of mucus I find in my throat and sinuses?  I am desperate!  But I hate doctors, and have been procrastinating seeing one on this for a long time.  Any ideas?  
I am not a doctor so take whatever I say with a grain of salt.  You should try an allergy medicine like claritin which you can get over the counter in the US.  You should also entirely stop smoking.  Most importantly though you should find a sympathetic doctor you don't hate and get advice from him or her.  Personally, when I was your age, I used to also avoid doctors mostly because I was avoiding finding out what was wrong with me which frankly was always something much less sinister than I expected.  Procrastinating on consulting with a physician is your real problem, not the mucos.  You know what you need to do so pick up the phone and make an appointment.
Go see a doctor and a nutritionist. The doctor can diagnose and rule out problems. The nutritionist can provide sound advice about what foods to avoid. Also, maybe you have old rugs or pets that is causing your mucus. A health food store may also help.
You need to see your doctor, based on what he observes he can give you the right tests and medicines to help you properly. Imagine how much better you will feel once the problem is identified and treated? And yes, please stop smoking, it only compounds your problems.I hope you get some answers soon....Sunny
i have the same problem, if not worse.  it might sound crazy, but it comforts me to know that i am not alone.  mucincex does help, but i am also looking for a permanent solution to decrease the mucus in my body.  when im cold i feel the post nasal drip instantly and it wears you out.  you feel lethargic and have no energy to do anything.  i hope the nasal sprays helps thank u
I fully understand what you are going through.  I have been chasing this problem for 4 decades. Have had multiple surgeries, tried all prescriptions and over the counter drugs.  I have found nothing that offers the slightest relief. Sorry,  If you ever find an answer other than death please let me know.