Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
How can I fix this so my voice is not permanently raspy

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Since being out of the country lectruing in extrememly cold air conditioned rooms for 4 and 5 hours at a time and also spending one night in a hotel room that smelled of mould ( I am allergic to mould). The outside temp 100 to 104 degrees.  I have had bronchitis, asthama, chronic cough, tire easily, sinusitis rt side of face, raspy voice, cough soundling like a chronic smoker  (and I have never smoked.) phlegm has color at times and other times clear. Chest Xray clear, Wheezing present. Have had 5 different antibiotics and 2 inhalers . The antibiotics helped with a chronic sinusitis on the lt side of my face so I am grateful for that but the antibiotics have not touched the rt side.. This has been going on since Sept 9. I am wondering if I have picked up some mould and it has settled in my lungs from the mould and cold where I was. This has gone on so long I am feeling so run down.
How can I fix this. Thanks
To “fix it” you need to know what needs to be fixed.  What you describe suggests the persistence of infection (most likely bacterial and much less likely, mold) that involves both your upper and your lower respiratory tract, including the right-sided sinuses.  I doubt that you “can fix it”, but that fixing it will require further treatment of your sinuses and lungs.  As this problem is now in its fourth month and not showing many signs of resolution, you should probably ask your doctor to request consultation with an ENT specialist who will probably recommend a CT Scan of your sinuses and, if you haven’t recently had a Chest X-ray, a repeat X-ray of your chest.

Good luck
Dear Dr Tinkelman: Thank you so much for your response. I will follow up with an ENT and I do have an appointment with a Respirologist at the end of January. Becasue of all the antibiotics I have had with very little help do you think that Prednisone would help? I was on it years ago for a very stubborn sinus infection that would not respond to antibiotics? It did work well for me.
Thank you again. Joy