Respiratory Disorders Community
How can I stop excessive mucus/phlegm after a cold or sinus infection? ...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How can I stop excessive mucus/phlegm after a cold or sinus infection? HELP!

Every time I catch a cold or am treated for a sinus infection, I wind up with a cough due to excessive mucus that won't go away. I'm sure it's from a post-nasal drip because I feel it at the back of my throat.

This time around, I caught a virus and was on antibiotics for 2 weeks for a sinus infection. The infection cleared up, but now I'm stuck with this excess clear mucus and I can't get it to stop! I've become a phlegm fountain!

At first I was taking Guaifenesin to thin out the mucus because it was very thick and made me gag. Then the next week I tried all sorts of things: saline nasal washing, nasal sterioids, Claritin, and Benedryl. Nothing made the mucus go away. Saline washing or taking a steamy shower helps a little bit, but the mucus just comes back in a few hours. I'm constantly clearing my throat and blowing my nose. It's very annoying. Soon I'll be dealing with this for an entire month. What can I do to make this stop already?!  If I had a dime for every time I've had to clear my throat this month I'd be a multi-millionaire. My throat is sometimes sore and my  voice is hoarse from all this constant throat clearing.

For the record, I don't smoke (never have) and I'm a 47-year-old woman. I get monthly allergy shots (but this is definitely NOT allergy...it's some sort of over-reaction from my body after having this sinus infection).