Respiratory Disorders Community
How do I stop Coughing up Mucus
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How do I stop Coughing up Mucus

My name is Michael Johnson and I have a history of asthma and allergies, since I was a little kid. Every year I've suffered from a serious bout of coughing which has lasted anywhere from a week to a few months. I keep coughing up mucus throughout the day. If I resist the, for example when I'm in class it gets worse and builds up until I can't hold it back any more. Lately it's come back again in full force, and I was wondering how I could make it stop. It's irritating, gross, annoying, embarrassing and painful. I can't swallow it because it just comes back up, and I've been told that's a bad idea anyway. Doctors have told me it's post nasal drip, and I guess that's what this. However, I feel more like the mucus is coming up from my throat instead of from my nose. Is that normal for post nasal drip? Either way, how can I make the coughs and the mucus stop? I don't want to cough up stuff everywhere I go; I can't even sleep comfortably because I can't lay down long enough to not feel like coughing something up. Would nasal sprays help? Allergy medication? Decongestants, gargling salt water, etc? If you know a remedy that works please tell me. I don't care if I have to drink vinegar straight or run five miles everyday; if there's anything I can do to end this problem for good I'll do it.