Respiratory Disorders Community
How do I stop Coughing up Mucus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

How do I stop Coughing up Mucus

My name is Michael Johnson and I have a history of asthma and allergies, since I was a little kid. Every year I've suffered from a serious bout of coughing which has lasted anywhere from a week to a few months. I keep coughing up mucus throughout the day. If I resist the, for example when I'm in class it gets worse and builds up until I can't hold it back any more. Lately it's come back again in full force, and I was wondering how I could make it stop. It's irritating, gross, annoying, embarrassing and painful. I can't swallow it because it just comes back up, and I've been told that's a bad idea anyway. Doctors have told me it's post nasal drip, and I guess that's what this. However, I feel more like the mucus is coming up from my throat instead of from my nose. Is that normal for post nasal drip? Either way, how can I make the coughs and the mucus stop? I don't want to cough up stuff everywhere I go; I can't even sleep comfortably because I can't lay down long enough to not feel like coughing something up. Would nasal sprays help? Allergy medication? Decongestants, gargling salt water, etc? If you know a remedy that works please tell me. I don't care if I have to drink vinegar straight or run five miles everyday; if there's anything I can do to end this problem for good I'll do it.
I would recommend that you see an allergist.  They tend to treat respiratory symptoms much more agressively that a primary care physician (at least good ones do).  Also, a cough, no matter how severe, is generally a symptom that asthma is out of control.  

In the meantime, try using a sinus rinse bottle to wash the allergens and crud out of your sinuses.  Also taking an expectorant like Mucinex (generic is fine) will help as well (at least the coughing will be less painful  ;)  ).  

If a good allergist can't get your symptoms under control, you might want to see a pulmonologist.  You may need a bronchoscopy to see if there are any chronic infections or other issues that need a different approach.

PND can cause you to feel like the drainage is being coughed up rather than dripping down, but either way it is a big problem.  Quite frankly, it doesn't matter where it is coming from, you just want it stopped, right?  At least that is the way I am.  There comes a point where you don't care about the diagnosis per se, just fix it!!!

Feel better.