Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
How long to recover from Pneumonia? Still short of breath with chest p...

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

How long to recover from Pneumonia? Still short of breath with chest pain.

Over three weeks ago I was diagnosed with Bronchial Pneumonia. I was given Zithromax for 3 days and switched to Avelox 400mg for 10 days, then given another course of Zithromax for 5 more days.  In the cours of all of this I have been to a pulmonary specialist who did bloodwork and X rays of my lungs to check for possible blood clots and see if the pneumonia was cleared up.  I was given a clean bill of health and sent home with a Advair inhaler and a heartburn medication for the chest pain.

Five days later,(last night) I was still suffering shortness of breath and a indigestion feeling and fatigue. Although it had improved very slightly, it still scared me to death why I sometimes could not get a full breath of air. So I went to the Emergency room sure I was having a heart Attack or had Angina or something dire, I was also having panic attacks thinking I might be dying. (the shortness of breath and chest ache is all I have left of my Pneumonia symptoms)

The doctor did an ECG on me, Chest Xrays and more bloodwork. She came back and said I was healthy and gave me a prescription for Vistaril, which is supposed to help me relax.
Is it normal for me to take this long to get over pneumonia? Or could I have something much more severe? I am afraid I am dying and no one will help me.
Pneumonia is a serious infection and it sometimes takes weeks to completely resolve the symptoms.  If the shortness of breath remains as a persistent problem, it is a good idea to have a lung function test (spirometry).  It is simple and will tell the physician whether to change or increase the Advair to help with the breathing problem.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Scared about my shortness of breath was started.