Respiratory Disorders Community
How serious is coughing up blood mixed in phlegm?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How serious is coughing up blood mixed in phlegm?

I had chest X-ray last week which confirmed pneumonia. I had told dr I had been coughing up blood for several days and they asked if it was streaked and I said yes. I saw a description on a web page using the description of looking like a partially scrambled egg and that is what it really looked like, not really streaked but kind of mixed. Now I have been on 500 mg Cipro for 4 of 7 days prescribed but still am coughing up same type of blood mixture. Am I just not allowing the medicine to work long enough or should I be contacting my doctor?
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Now I'm done the cipro but still the same symptoms. Any help?
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If your symptoms of cough, sputum production and hemoptysis are persistent, you will need to re consult your doctor. Sputum streaked with blood can occur due to pneumonia. It could also occur due to other causes like tumors or pulmonary embolism. As the primary cause namely the pneumonia resolves, the sputum production and hemoptysis should resolve.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank