How serious is coughing up blood mixed in phlegm?
I had chest X-ray last week which confirmed pneumonia. I had told dr I had been coughing up blood for several days and they asked if it was streaked and I said yes. I saw a description on a web page using the description of looking like a partially scrambled egg and that is what it really looked like, not really streaked but kind of mixed. Now I have been on 500 mg Cipro for 4 of 7 days prescribed but still am coughing up same type of blood mixture. Am I just not allowing the medicine to work long enough or should I be contacting my doctor?
Now I'm done the cipro but still the same symptoms. Any help?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If your symptoms of cough, sputum production and hemoptysis are persistent, you will need to re consult your doctor. Sputum streaked with blood can occur due to pneumonia. It could also occur due to other causes like tumors or pulmonary embolism. As the primary cause namely the pneumonia resolves, the sputum production and hemoptysis should resolve.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.