Respiratory Disorders Community
How to increase blood/oxygen level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

How to increase blood/oxygen level

I am 72 and was just diagnosed with COPD with a blood/oxygen level in the low 90's to high 80's. I also have emphysema due to genes and being a prior smoker who quit 20 years ago.  
I am able to perform most functions, but have little stamina.   I am able to walk about 3 miles 3 to 5 times a week at a moderate pace on a level surface.
Could you please tell me if there are any exercises, etc. I can do to increase my blood/oxygen level so I don't have to use a commercial oxygen company.
Thank you

This discussion is related to Low Blood Oxygen Levels Despite Using BiPAP.
These breathing techniques - pranayam, will definitely increase your blood/oxygen level. You are fit, so will be able to pranayam. Please come back to report your progress, so others may benefit.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Could you please tell me what these words mean?
- pranayam
- Anulom Vilom
- Kapalbhati

Thank you,
sr1101
In Yoga, breathing exercises are called pranayam (Indian sanskrit word).
Anulom vilom and kapalbhati are names of different pranayam (breathing techniques).
There are other breathing exercises as well, which you will learn, once you get interested.
You are going to try the pranayam, so you will understand more as you do it.