Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Hyperinflation and COPD

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hyperinflation and COPD

Hello,I am a 42 old male never smoked . I switched doctors recently and requested my records from 1st doctor when going thru them I noticed a chest xray report from 3 years ago. The report said I had hyperinflation (I remember my doctor said it was nothing to worry about because of my height 6'3'' that is why the xray probably showed this) The report also states there is no active lung disease. the thing that worries me though the report also states there is evidence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. my Dr. never mentioned this  while reviewing the xray with me .I have no symptoms. my new doctor did not seem concerned about it. Should this be something I should have checked out ?

thanks
Hyperinflation can be an early sign of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but the interpretation of hyperinflation is not totally objective.  The perception of hyperinflation may be influenced by factors such as thickness of the chest wall, depth of inspiration at the moment the x-ray is taken, x-ray machine settings and x-ray technique.  When actually present, it may be a sign of COPD or sub-optimally controlled asthma.  It may also be a normal variant.  Finally, some radiologists tend to over interpret this finding and then mistakenly attribute it to COPD.  "No active lung disease" is a desirable state.

Hyperinflation, alone, is an unreliable way to make the diagnosis of COPD.  The issue can be easily resolved by spirometry.  This is a simple breathing test that measures how your lungs are working.  It will show if there is obstruction in your airways.  Often it will identify a problem in your lungs before you have symptoms.  When this is done periodically it will tell about the health of your lungs over time.  You should ask your doctor to have spirometry done for your own peace of mind.  This will also refute your having been labeled as having COPD.

It is remotely possible that you could have COPD.  However it is very unlikely for a 42-year-old man who has never smoked to have COPD.
? doesnt it some times go by  type of work they do  ( as in  chemicals? etc) for long period of times and family history? my grandfather didnt smoke but he  had copd  ,  his busniess was spraying  sealers on  burned out houses> best thing to do is console with  a doctor .       :) have a great day