Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Hyperinflation

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hyperinflation

I'll try to keep this short.  My problem;  I don't smoke, and don't like being around it.  In 1987, I started to come down with mysterious symptoms like hypertention, headaches migraine, itchy rash, dizziness, soar throats cough.  At that time I don't remember if I had any chest pains or not, but in 1988 while over sea, I recall haveing some bad chest pains from when I moved or breath, so I would just lay there till it passed in 1988 I was also exposed to low lever asbestos.  I also recall RLQ pain during 1988.  In 1991, my record shows hyperinflation and in later years 1994 on x-rays.  In 1995, papers show that I was diagnosed with COPD, hyperinflation, hyperlucnency, old granulomatosis disease, and some other things.   I dont' know what happend after that, maybe I was in denial or mad, so I had forgot about it.  In 2001, a spirometry test came up negative, so I was told that I was misdiagnosed for COPD, but my records still say hyperinflation from the x-ray.  Also noted since 1991 is mild clubbing.

1.  Can someone get hyperinflation from exposure to pesticides or other praticles from a shooting range, in later years?  
2.  Can someone be diagnosed with COPD and it just go away or was I really misdiagnosed?
3.  If I was misdiagnosed then why do I have hyperinflation and clubbing?
Hyperinflation means air is trapped in the small airways so the lungs appear larger than usual on the chest x-ray.  It is very unlikely to have hyperinflation in later years from exposure to pesticides or other particles from a shooting range.

Hyperinflation is often mistakenly equated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).  Although hyperinflation is typical of COPD, this alone cannot be used to say that someone has COPD.  Hyperinflation can also be seen with poorly controlled asthma.   If the spirometry test was normal, you do not have COPD.

In most instances, clubbing is a harmless condition that can run in families.  In this situation it would have nothing to do with a lung problem.

You need to see a pulmonologist to sort all of this out.  All the other symptoms are probably unrelated.