Respiratory Disorders Community
I cannot yawn/shortness of breath

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I cannot yawn/shortness of breath

Hello,my problem began 8-9 months ago.I stood on the balcony and suddenly I felt the need to draw air deep and it did not work,only yawning helps me to breathe deeply,this feeling lasted 20-30 minutes then he disappeared.The second episode happened at school about a month after the first, just like the first,disappeared after 20-30 minutes.After this episode the symptoms became more frequent ,every two or three days ,just kept not more than 30 minutes.Now my symptoms are shortness of breath(must yawn to breathe deeply and most often can not yawning),every two or three minutes I was feeling a deep breath or yawn,feel a pressure in the throat and uper chest,sometimes wheezing in the throat to the inspiration ,coughing and throat clearing.They have symptoms every day for 6 months.I have nothing at night, sleep like a baby:)but when I wake up the nightmare begins.
I am 21 years old,I I did two x-rays, EKG, allergy tests,spirometry,all came out normal.Doctors told me that it is anxiety or a nerve problem.This problem is very annoying,you can not concentrate on anything.

Has anyone had these problems?
Does anyone know what could be?

I think it's the ugliest feeling in the world:)) Thank you and good health to all
There is some stale air in your lungs. Do this pranayam everyday,before breakfast, to get your oxygen levels right. When you feel shortness of breath, do kapalbhati 12 times followed by anulom vilom for 5 minutes.Let me know how you feel after 9 days.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
thanks hava ,I will try.Could be vocal cord dysfunction?Someone has vocal cord dysfunction and has similar symptoms?wheezing, coughing and throat clearing, pass with throat pills with cetilpiridiniu and benzocaine or drink very,very much water.Breathing is improving after throat pastilles but not much.
I noticed a lump on the right side of the neck big enough to see with the naked eye and adam's apple is shifted toward the opposite side .I think it's a thyroid problem,can hypothyroidism because i am over weight 10Kg(22lbs) and body temperature is below
36°C(96.8°F).I'll do some tests next week .
If it is thyroid, it will be confirmed by the thyroid point(described below), then do these thyroid exercises. Continue with the pranayam, I mentioned before. You will feel good when you do something yourself to control your problems.
Thyroid exercises
1 Neck exercise for thyroid.
Breathe in slowly while turning your head to the left, pause and hold breath for 3 seconds,
Breathe out slowly while  bringing the head back to middle position,pause for 3 seconds,
Breathe in slowly while turning your head to the right, pause and hold breath for 3 seconds,
Breathe out slowly while bringing the head back to middle position.
Do this exercise 5 times.
Repeat this 5 times, with the head going up and back, and then head going down.

2 Neck exercise for thyroid
Stand on your knees with hands folded across your chest,
Lean backwards with the head falling back while breathing in, hold breath for 3 seconds,
come back to straight position, while breathing out.
Repeat this 5 times.

Thyroid point – press (50 times) the fleshy bit on palm between  the base of thumb and wrist on both hands. You will feel pain when you press.

I have nothing to thyroid!Tests showed normal
TSH 2.8    Normal 0.39-6.16
FT4 1.19   Normal 0.8-2.0
I think there is something psychologically,because the symptoms appeared a few months after my father died.
My problem persists and I went to the emergency room
,another x-ray(normal),oxygen saturation 100% doctor was surprised to see 100% saturation and an echocardiogram which showed a little mitral valve prolapse without regurgitation I saw three cardiologists
and the doctor said that's not the problem.But all day I sigh, yawn(sometime I hold my mouth open end my yawn not coming :)..), and draw a deep breath,

and most times I feel like my lungs dont feel complete with air..Can climb five floors without problems.My sister had the same problem but he passed ,but strange thing one day  I asked her to take a deep breath and could not until after several attempts.My mother same problem ,I watched her and noticed that every 2-3 minutes she takes a deep breath.