Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
I get the croup frequently as an adult?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I get the croup frequently as an adult?

"Croup (or laryngotracheobronchitis) is a respiratory condition that is usually triggered by an acute viral infection of the upper airway. The infection leads to swelling inside the throat, which interferes with normal breathing and produces the classical symptoms of a "barking" cough, stridor, and hoarseness. It may produce mild, moderate, or severe symptoms, which often worsen at night. It is often treated with a single dose of oral steroids; occasionally inhaled epinephrine is used in more severe cases. Hospitalization is rarely required. It is a relatively common condition that affects about 15% of children at some point, most commonly between 6 months and 5-6 years of age. It is almost never seen in teenagers or adults."
-- Wikipedia

I'm a 17 year-old male. I'm relatively healthy, but I always seem to get this one sickness at least once a year. I wake up and I either can hardly breathe or can't speak, I got it a lot when I was a kid and would wake up run to my parent's room and say "I got the croup again" It would get so bad that I wouldn't be able to talk. I haven't seen the doctor for it ever, when I was a kid I cried and it made it much more worse, of course it was very severe at that stage and I could hardly breathe. I'm certain that it's the croup although I never got medically diagnosed. I am curious as to why I keep catching this sickness and why it's always the same, except this time it was accompanied by a fever which is now gone. The day after I ended up with the croup and it has lasted for a couple of days. I don't have lung problems or asthma, etc, and this only affects my throat.

Any advice?
What you experience must be very scary.  Croup, by definition and general consensus is not a disease of individuals over age 5..For that reason, other causes of your once a year illness should be considered.  What comes to mind is the possibility that you may be having episodes of gross acid reflux (Gastric reflux of GERD) during which there is aspiration of acidic contents of your stomach into your trachea (wind-pipe) resulting in laryngospasm (of the vocal chords).

Another possibility, given the number of times this has recurred is that you may have an anatomic constriction of your trachea (sub-glottic stenosis), perhaps related to recurrent aspiration.

I suggest that you check with your personal physician to discuss the possibility of recurrent laryngospasm, with or without aspiration and arrange with him/her for direct examination of your larynx by an ENT specialist.

There is also the possibility that what you are experiencing is a variant of asthma but given the details you have provided, I would deem that to be unlikely.  

Good luck