Respiratory Disorders Community
I have had a horrible smell in my nose! Like Fecal Matter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I started having a strange problem in the last year. I will get this absolutely horrible, discusting smell from my nose. A few times when this first happened, I noticed a few small 'chunks' (about 1/4 the size of a pencil eraser) in my mouth when I tried to clear my nose. They were quite small, but wherever they touched in the inside of my mouth, the taste was discusting and bitter. the other day, I spit into my hand to see what it was and it was a few pieces of some kind of light yellow matter.
I squished it with my figners, and then smelled my fingers, and the smell was enough to make me want to vomit. It smelled like a bowel movement with an overwhelming strong odor.
It only occurs once ever two or three weeks, but getting the pieces of stuff from my nose worries me. The smell is unbelieveable and pretty hard to accurately describe!

This discussion is related to Putrid Odor in Nose.
There are many, many forums here and at other medical web sites with people complaining about breath, body, and nose odor.  This must be a modern problem.  I have had fairly good success with a natural diet, avoiding chemicals on or inside my body, probiotics(either pill or yogurt), using little or no fragrances, certain nutrients and supplements, avoiding sugar or sweets, drinking mostly water, and prayer and religious healing rituals.  Look at the other posts dealing with this for further information.  You'll get well.  Don't give up.
I researched this online yestereday for over 5 hours, and finally figured out what it is. It described all the symptoms accurately too. It turns out it is a proetty common problem and totally harmless (minus the smell-which can also be corrected.) It turns out it is something called "Tonsil Stones" or the medical term is "Tonsillitis". Did a google search on this, and an image came up, and that is EXACTLY what those small pebbles/chunks look like. Do a google search and you'll see how common this is. I can't believe it is so common though since it took some serious seasrching online and a great deal of time before the information came out.  
I'm currently researching an answer to my boyfriend putrid smell coming from his sinus dripping. He just had all 4 wisdom teeth out and one ruptured into his sinus cavity and now has a sinus infection. He goes to the doctor tomorrow but I'm searching for any home remedy answers to the smell in case the antibiotics take a while to get rid of it.

AND that smell is of dog diarrhea for sure. He's lucky I have a strong stomach.
NikkiforJoe

Your boyfriend can get some stink relief from a Neilmed Sinus Rinse.  Saline will wash out the infected pus until the antibiotics kick in, and a Neilmed works in the maxillary sinuses, where tooth infections can sometimes go.
besides the awful smell of fecal  in my nose piercing i smoke. any similarities.
I had the same bad smell.  I attribute mine to a blocked nasal passage.  I did no diving over the winter when I started experiencing it.    It cleared once I did my first dive for about 20 feet for 30 or so minutes.  When I got to the surface, I was able to clear a large, green, fluorescent lugie  and low and behold the **** smell was gone.