Respiratory Disorders Community
I have trouble breathing/cant get enough air?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I am currently 16 years old and ever since I was about 9 or 10 years old Ive been having trouble breathing. I feel as If I dont get enough oxygen in my lungs and because of this, I tend to yawn and sigh a lot, I also take a lot a lot of deep breaths and since I try to breath so much....i feel super dizzy,like im about to fall down. Ive visited numerous doctors and some seem to find nothing wrong with me and others seem to think its ''Anxiety". Personally I know that its not anxiety because Im happy as I can be and I dont have most of the symptoms that usually occur with Anxiety.Ive seen a Ear,Throat and Nose doctor and they couldnt find anything wrong either. My breathing problems occur every single day; when im eating,watching tv,showering,etc. I have a hard time sleeping because of the breathing problem. My mom wants to take me to more doctors and id be happy to go,but its just that, my dad thinks that im doing this to get attention. PLEASE HELP
I have a couple of ideas:

Get a peak flow meter from your doctor and have him/her suggest your normal range. Then keep track at home or when you are feeling short of breath and record your values. You may have asthma, which can be treated.

Being "super" dizzy could be caused by quite a few things, but IF you get dizzy a lot, I'd have it checked out.

Dave
I have had the same thing for the past couple of months. I am 30 years old. I have had xrays, asthma tests, and all is clear (thank goodness). My doc can't find anything either and it is frustrating. The only tip that I can give you, is to try not to focus on it. I was told mine was Anxiety too, but I am the happiest I have ever been and not stressed/anxious at all. Once I knew everything was clear, I felt much better about it, although still wondering what it is. My doc said it is probably hyperventilation syndrome. Have a look at it on the internet, sounds exactly like my symptoms. basically it means that you are trying to breathe a massive breath to get that satisfying feeling like you have enough air in your lungs, but the truth is you already do have enough air in your lungs by taking the small breaths. If you try to take in too much air, you are filling your lungs with too much carbondioxide.. or something along those lines. Since reading all this I have tried to take calm, smaller breaths and not the massive ones I was trying to take, and it seems to have eased a little. I was yawning all the time to get that satisfying breathe, but it seems now I don't need to as much. My doc also suggested yoga or some relaxtion breathing classes. Anyway, have a look at the hyperventilation syndrome - you will soon find that there are thousands of people that feel just like us, and I can assure you you are not making this up. It is frustrating but try a few of these things and see how you go. Good luck :)
Naomi