Respiratory Disorders Community
I sense any mouth's smell even from a distance, from childhood

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

The minute a person opens his/her mouth, I sense the smell. No one seems to sense this. Only when the breath is bad, other people can sense it. Every mouth has a smell, I am not judging good or bad. It makes me very uncomfortable. Even from some distance also, after few seconds, I sense the smell of the other person.

I am 39 now, from childhood, I am like this. I am not hallucinating, that is for sure. Only when a smell exists, good or bad, I sense it. I read on this forum, that people had this problem for a period of time or because of some condition. In my case, it is very simple. My nose senses any smell that others do not seem to bother. For example, if a tech person is giving demo in the house, I can smell his breath, it makes me uncomfortable. No one in the family seem to bother, they are not sensing it.

I can sense my own smells from mouth, butt or pits. I cannot tell this to anyone, even when i tell, nobody seem to understand. I keep talking to my 10yr old son, he also can sense any smell. If he is there, I ask him that if he is smelling what I sensed and he immediately says, 'yes'. But the difference is, he has no problem with that. In my case, impression has formed so strongly that I cannot remove this.

It feels so easy to interact with others if I do not sense any smell, except when it is too bad.

To get to the core of my problem, I never let my partner kiss on my lips. He tried several times, I let it and clean it right away and i dont enjoy it. Bad smell bothers everyone. In my case, I sense any mouth's smell that makes me so uncomfortable. I am an extrovert, always among lot of people. If I do not sense the smell, I will be able to lead my life with lot of happiness.

This is the first time, I tried to describe it. I do not know how to come out of this obsession. The smell I am sensing actually exists and I am like this from my childhood.

Anyone like me out there?
Tags: breath