Respiratory Disorders Community
Illness after quiting smoking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Illness after quiting smoking

I got this nasty cold a couple of weeks ago. My boyfriend got the same thing, only two weeks prior to me. He decided that he was going to smoke while he had this infection and it developed into acute bronchitis. When I came down with it, I decided that I was going to quit smoking once and for all. I had tried quitting before, but this time I was really motivated, and on top of that, smoking with the cold made me sick.
I had the cold for about a week, and then was over it. However, about two days after I thought I was completely over it, I started coughing up phlegm and my throat was raw and dry. I have a really nasty sounding cough that sounds phlegm-y and hurts a lot. I was wondering if this is a common adverse effect of quitting smoking? And if that is what it is, what can I do to deal with it? I've been drinking tons of water and started and exercise program but it doesn't seem to be helping. Will it go away on it's own, or should I go to the doctor?
Additionally, I had heard that when you quit smoking it was common for a strong increase in appetite and weight gain. However, since I quit smoking I have completely lost my appetite, and have to force myself to eat when I am border line passing out. Is there any logical reason for this? I appreciate any advice you could give me!