Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
I'm 17, and I can't breathe!

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I'm 17, and I can't breathe!

Hi, I'm Yoshino.
I turned 17 recently and I can't breathe.
It's happened even before. When I was 16.
I'm out of breath ALL DAY, without even doing any activity. My legs are very weak now. And I do have a slight addiction with self Mutliation.
I want to be a singer but I can't sing because I sound like a ran a marathon!
I'm always tired and sometimes my heart beats too fast. I also get over excited sometimes and it makes my heart pound. Right now, writing this, it's pounding fast and hard.
I can also never fully get enough air in my lungs. Ever since last year, for almost 2 weeks I couldn't breathe at ALL.
I was breathing, but no oxygen was getting in. Like my pipe was closed or very small. The only way to breathe was to yawn. Or drink something really cold. To get SOME air. (I was trying to watch wicked, it was my birthday and I couldn't breathe at all) ._.
It happened again A few months ago
And ever since that I can't get my lungs to hold as much air and sometimes when I breathe in too much air I start like choking. It's
Weird an annoying.
What's going on? I'm only 17. (Feb 2nd)
The symptoms you have experienced must make you miserable but it should be possible for the breathing problem, central to your illness, to be diagnosed and treated.  The first step for you and your doctors should be to determine if your breathing problem is physical in nature, for example asthma, or is secondary to your emotional state that, by your description, seems to include a fair amount of anxiety.  The same holds true for your rapid heart beat; that is, is it physical or caused by anxiety, a condition frequently associated with what is called a panic disorder (also treatable).   Shortness of breath is a frequent symptom of panic disorder.

To summarize, here is my advice.  That you have a comprehensive (physical exam, blood tests etc.) by a caring physician who will patiently listen to your story of what is bothering you, including the tendency to self-mutilation, and be open to the possibility that your illness is both physical and emotional and be willing to advise you on the treatment of both.  Also, if you have not yet, share what has been seriously bothering you, with your parents (one or both, whichever makes you most comfortable).  

Yours is not a problem that you can or should address on your own.  We all need the help of others to get well, at some time in our lives, and this is one of those times for you.  You are not alone.

Good luck