Respiratory Disorders Community
I'm having a hard time breathing correctly, please help.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hello, I just turned 21. I'm in ok shape, not fat not skinny, just average. I have never had any problems breathing before but about a week ago I started having to take a lot of deep breaths. About every 11-20 seconds of breathing normally it feels like I just HAVE to take a deep breath to feel good again. It's like I'm not pulling in enough air by breathing regulary so the deep breath makes me feel good again. But this happens all day long from when I wake up to when I sleep but it gets worse as the day progresses. I don't have a cough, I don't have a cold, I haven't had any pains untill today but right now my chest is actually starting to hurt some. I think its from all the constant deep breaths I keep taking.

But I will go see a doctor on Monday when my dad gets home from business. But I'm starting to get scared a little, I almost don't want to go to the doctor because maybe I'm just doing this to myself and its in my mind. But why would I all of a sudden start having these problems? Lastly, I also am yawning a whole lot now because it helps me get deep breaths when I sometimes can't get a deep breath.

What on earth could be going on? I have no symptons of anything else, just breathing problems and slight chest pains today, I've never had asthma or anything either so I'm just clueless.

Thanks to anyone who could just ease my mind a little untill Monday.
I can't really say for sure, but I know this is gong to be easier said then done but try to relax, you might make things worse if you don't. if you gt too bad please go to your ER/
you might be developing ashtma. do you "cough" at night? I am not saying the type of cough you get when you have a cold. I am not sure when you say you don't have a cough if you mean illness sign. a sugn of asthma is coughing at night.
the doctors should not say it is in your mind. they might not be able to give you an asnwer on Monday, but I bet they will try to get you the help you need
good luck
michelle
HI.
I CAN'T SAY FOR SURE WHAT IS GOING ON WITH YOUR HEALTH BUT I DON'T GUESS IT MIGHT B A PROBLEM.I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS AS YOU AND WHAT I HAVE DISCOVERED IS THAT ARE SIGNS OF PANIC OR ANXIETY (THIS IS WHAT ALL THE DOCTORS HAVE TOLD).I YAWN A LOT CAUSE THIS HELPS ME BREATHE MORE EASILY.I THINK THAT IT IS A LITTLE BIT PSICOLOGICAL AND ABOUT THE HURT IN YOUR CHEST IT MUGHT BE FROM THE DEEP BREATHS YOU'VE TRIED TO TAKE ALL THESE DAYS LONG.GO AND VISIT YOUR DOCTOR BUT DON'T WORRY.
thanks for the comments mom and painful. I have not had any coughing what so ever which makes me feel better. Today has been the best day this week. It still gets worse as the day progresses but it was better than yesterday regardless! I really hope this is anxiety which is very possible. I know I have nothing to be worried about in my life but I just can't help I'm nervous all the time about the stupidest things. Anyways, thanks for the help, oh yea, no pains whats so ever today either :)
Wow. This sounds exactly what I've been going through. I don' t know why, but it happened all of a sudden. I've had this for a month now. You can read my story that I just posted.
I forgot to add, my docs thought it was anxiety too, but I've been on anxiety meds. for over a week now and I don't think they've made a difference.
This recently started happening to me about a week ago...It has happened b4 but i cant remember it lasting more than a day.
I saw an ear, nose, and throat doctor last week. He checked my Nasal Cavity by inserting a tube with a camera through my nose to my throat, and said that I had Acid Reflux.

He said that my throat, tonsils, and windpipes were red and irritated from the acid reflux. He said that when the acid comes up and irritates the windpipe, which becomes narrower, making it hard to breathe.
The same thing has been happening to me for quite some time..I just turned 13, it's been happening probably since I was about 11 or 12..it bugs the heck out of me!
I recently started working out, and started having issues breathing good. a i think i pushed myself a little harder especially since it was only my first 2 days but i'm a bit confused , I can't tell whether it heart burn or breathing problem one thing i know for sure is that it feels different then my usual heart burn symptoms because when i burp i feel okay but when take deep breaths i feel much better and usual with heart burn my rolaid does the job or drinking soda which makes me burp but this just seems to be something different.I have had major anxiety symptoms and wonder it related to that but why after my first 2 days of working out?
I think that you should really go the doctors and check that chest pain out. Even if you think that its in your head because you don't want to take that chance of it being something bad.

My uncle who had recently passed away had joined a football team and starting working out more. Before joining the team he wasn't working out at all so this was a dramatic change.
After being on the team for a few weeks he started noticing that his heart was hurting and he didn't know if it was just heartburn or if it were something to do with his heart.
He went to the doctors only for them to tell him that his heart was fine and that he was just having heartburn. The doctor prescribed him some heartburn medication even knowing that his sister has suffered from heart problems and has gone through open heart surgery.
To end my story my uncle had passed away a couple weeks later from a heart attact.
So PLEASE PLEASE get it checked out.
I'm having the same problem  my mom said its just stress and anxiety (also ehat my doctor told me) don't worry just relax and calm down take a nice warm bath or just lay down that always helps me I hope I helped
i have the same problems today and yesterday. havent it before to but not in a long time. i yawn every minute just to get more air. i do have anxiety but got put on medication for it  a couple months ago. was better but now starting again. is yours gone? and how did it go away?
Has your probelm gone? If yes, how did you manage to make it go?