Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Inability to Yawn

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Inability to Yawn

I'm having difficulty yawning. I feel like yawning but I can't follow through with it. I'm on Advair, Albuterol, Singulair and Nasonex. I'm also coughing a lot, with difficulty taking deep breaths, and pain in left side of back. It's affecting my ability to sleep, my peace of mind. I am feeling some shortness of breath, and clearing my throat a lot too. I have a recent history of dizziness and lightheadedness that occured before this episode. Chest X-rays show lungs clear, doctors can't hear a problem in my chest, blood tests for hormones, anemia, blood sugar... fine... What could possibly create this inability to yawn and feeling of being short of breath? This has been going on for at least a month. I'm quite frightened. Could this all be created by a stressful environment? Should I seek more advice re. my asthma? Thanks in advance.
Karen
If your asthma is not well controlled it could be causing the symptoms that you have described.  It is also possible that postnasal drip is making your asthma worse as well as causing the symptoms that you have described.  You will need to check with your doctor to know for sure what is causing your symptoms.  Only after a thorough examination would it be possible to say a stressful environment has created all of this.

Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  There could be several reasons for this drainage.  One reason is an allergy.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious inflammation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is chronic sinusitis.  Postnasal drip can cause breathing difficulty as a result of irritation of the throat and lungs.  You may experience the postnasal drip as a constant feeling of mucus at the back of your throat.  Typically this is worse at night when you lay down to sleep.  Generally this irritation feels the worst when you wake up and gets better as the day goes on.

The fat content in dairy products can thicken mucus.  Generally eating dairy products with less fat content is helpful.  Drinking plenty of water will help to thin the mucus so that it moves more easily.  As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily.  Clearing your throat can irritate your throat and make it sore.  When you feel the need to clear your throat sip some water to clear the mucus.

An antihistamine can dry up the postnasal drip.  However, it may make the mucus thicker and more difficult to move.  A decongestant like Sudafed