Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Inability to inhale enough air

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Inability to inhale enough air

What could cause an inability to inhale deeply?  Breathing regularly, no exsertion, just can't get in enough air on deep breaths.  Feels as though you may be sufficating (gasping).  After a couple of days struggling it causes your upper chest to hurt.  Doesn't happen all the time so getting it checked is hard but lasts for, sometimes, a month at a time. Sitting up, laying down, doesn't matter you still gasp for air. Like having to yawn, the wide mouth open inhale, without suffcient air.  What could I ask my doctor to check for?  Could this be serious?
This sounds like either vocal cord dysfunction (VCD) or upper airway obstruction.  A laryngoscopy is the first test.  An ENT specialist does this using a flexible tube with a small camera at the end, called a fiberoptic laryngoscope.  This specialist can look at your vocal cords and the upper part of your windpipe.  This should be done while you are having symptoms.  Only then is it possible to tell what the problem might be.
Search for air hunger. I've had this for over a year now, and it is bothersome. It makes me feel anxious.
There are a few reasons this could be happening.

The beginning stages of Asthma or out of control Asthma can cause this problem.  The reason people think they can't get enough air in is actually because you are unable to get enough air out of your lungs.  Stale air is trapped inside the lungs ands creates this feeling of not being able to get enough air in or problems with yawning and getting that full breath.  Infection can be another cause, smoking and I am sure other things.  Sometimes a cours of steroides can help get rid of or control this problem as can many different inhalers.  Acid Reflux can also cause symptoms like this.  A lung specilist is worth seeing.  There is no reason to have to live like this.  There are many treatments available.  Your rib cage or chest hurts because you may be breathing to hard, straining and coughing.  With the right treatment as determined by your doctor, all of these things will most likly go away.  I had all of these issues for 2 years because they just got worse over time, I quit smoking and I am on w2 in-halers....pulmicourt and serevent and I forget most days that I ever had these issues.  If it is acid reflux, there are medications for this.  It sounds like you may have chronic inflamation (inflammation).  Good luck.
I'm 19 years of age and i have had Asthma since i was a kid, i have alot of breathing problems and the doctors says that its under control...but its not and i'm worried...i wanted to join this to read and share my experiences to see if and what relations are present with other people...
I am not sure what issues you have, not enough information given. If you say you are out of control I imagine you can't breathe?  If this is the case I start off by asking are you seeing a primary care or a specialist?  You know your body better then anyone and if you do not feel in control, you may not be. You need a doctor who deals with lungs all day everyday, not a primary care if that is who you go to.  You should investigate into some different types of medication, perhaps the ones you have now no longer work especially if your condition has changed. If you have not had a breathing test recently, you should, perhaps your condition has changed.  Also other conditions can aggrivate Asthma such as acid problems and anxiety.  Keep searching with your doctors for the answer.  Sounds it may be time to get a new doctor.  Good luck.
sounds like classic chronic hyperventilation syndrome
presume you have been checked out by your doctor?

check www.breathingworks.com
A related discussion, cannot get enough air was started.