Respiratory Disorders Community
Inflimation in chest and rib pain.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Inflimation in chest and rib pain.

About 2 weeks ago i started getting this pain in my breastbone out of nowhere.It happened while i was just sitting playing on the computer. The pain was so bad i went to the ER. They said it was just acid reflux but i didnt believe them. They gave me 4 pain pills one being a shot that made me dizzy. But all night i didnt sleep due to pain. After about 2 days i went to the doctor and he said it was just an inflimation that was brought on by caffeine ( i drank alot of coke). He prescribed this pill that he said would make the inflimation go down. However the pain persists and although its gotten better today has been awful. I forgot to take the pill and the pain is so awful and now i also have this feeling like a crushing in my ribs. My muscles feel tired and it hurts to even breath. Can inflimation last so long?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If you have constant coughing it could cause muscle strain and chest pain. Sometimes the pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed causing pain with coughing. If with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. If the pain is aggravated with work or exercise then it could be due to cardiac pain.

If the pain is worsening consult your doctor for a reevaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.