Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Info on abnormal CAT Scan

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Info on abnormal CAT Scan

I was wondering what findings there would be on a CAT Scan if there was a possibility of lymphoma or lung cancer. I have enlarged lymph nodes with inflammation and emphysema. I am only 43 years old!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated. I just had the scan on 9/11, go figure!!!!
You should definitely discuss this question with your pulmonary specialist and/or radiologist.

Lung cancer usually, but not always, presents as a discrete mass within the substance of the lung.  The surface of the mass is spiculated, meaning it irregular and not smooth.  Enlarged lymph nodes may or may not be associated with the mass.  Lymph nodes can enlarge in response to cancer, including lymphoma, infection or non-malignant diseases such as sarcoidosis.  Often, only a lymph node biopsy will enable your doctors to distinguish between the multiple possibilities.

Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma can present with enlargement of both:  
• the hilar lymph nodes, those that reside next to the main right and left pulmonary arteries; and
• the mediastinal lymph nodes, those in the compartment in the middle of the chest that contains the heart and great blood vessels.

You are rather young to have emphysema.  Assuming the diagnosis is correct, have your doctors checked for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?  Both you and your blood relatives should be checked for this genetic abnormality.  Please read our alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency or inherited emphysema information at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/copd/about/alpha1-antitrypsin.aspx to learn more.
Just wanted to bump this up. I am new to the forum and a little anxious for some answers. Thanks!!!!
I wish that I had the radiology report in front of me. I have several nodules on both lungs. I am a smoker of approx. 31 years. The report stated that the nodules were non-differentiated and the term non-glassy was used. I am not sure of the exact location within the lungs. My PFT's were okay with the exception of gas diffusion, which was around 60%. I would also like to add that in May thru July of this year I suffered with chronic hoarseness. ENT said  it was chronic laryngitis and with no improvement referred me to speech therapy. They could not determine the exact cause either. But, it has improved. Kinda curious if this could be an indication of another problem even though it is better???? What exactly does non differentiated mean? and the term non glassy? There is mild hilar and mediastinal adenopathy. I have also been diagnosed with anemia that is not responding to treatment. However, I do have a fibroid tumor in my uterus that is said to benign. Surgery has been recommended but put off due to the CT irregularities. Any and all help would be appreciated. I am so scared and very concerned. I am scheduled for follow up CT in 6 months and repeat PFT. Dr prescribed a SprivaHandihaler and Albuterol prn. Thank you so much for your help!!!!!
Bumping this up do not want it to get lost.
You have to post a new question for the Dr. to answer. They only give one answer per post, that don't come back to them.
That's correct--only one response will be written by a NJ healthcare professional to your question, no matter how many times you "bump it up."  If you have additional questions, you need to post them when the board allows you to.

Forums are not or medical advice on particular cases because the physician that actually sees the patient has a MUCH better opportunity to understand the full picture of the patient's health.

What were your PFTs?  How were they "OK" except for the diffusion.  On what basis was your emphysema diagnosed?  Were you given a blood test for alpha-1 antrypsin deficiency?  Your doc needs to provide more answers or you need to find one who will.

You should be able to get a copy of your radiology report by requesting it of the physician who ordered it.  That might make it easier to post a clearer question.

Has the doctor tried to determine the cause of your anmemia?  Sometimes that can be helpful in treatment.
Starion
Also, with you being anemic that could cause the low dlco.