Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Inspired Volume

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Inspired Volume

I have emphysema, am on Albuterol & Flovent (low dose) for this problem, also have COPD.
I use an inspired volume machine twice per day to keep records on my breathing. Before I use Albuterol and/or Flovent my reading is 1500-1900, After Albuterol & Flovent my reading is 2400-3000. Could you please tell me if that is good or bad?
This is very good.  Based upon the amount that your readings are increasing the albuterol is reversing the tightness in the airways of your lungs.  This means that there is a reversible component or an asthma component to your emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).  This is also good because it means that you get relief by using albuterol.
Inspired volume machine?

Are you using a peak flow meter or a incentive spirometer? There is a big difference between the both of them. And I certainly hope you are refering to peak flow.

Andy, RRT, CPFT
The inspired volume machine I use is a Voldyne 5000, it is all plastic. A large ball in the center will rise from 000-5000 depending on my inhales. I insert the large tube in my mouth and inhale slow and steady for my readings.
Thank You for any interest and replies.
CT...

What you are describing is a device called a incentive spirometer. This device has absolutely no significant value to your course of therpy. Also, this unit does not and cannot measure signs of reversable lung disease. An incentive spirometer is predominantly used for post surgical patients or where injuries are to the chest or abdomen. It simply excercises the chest (or prevents lung atelectasis)so people don't take little baby breaths.

The device you should be using is called a PEAK FLOW METER!  A peak flow meter is a small, easy-to-use instrument that measures your peak expiratory flow rates. A number that tells you how fast you can blow out air after a maximum inhalation. It reveals how well your lungs are working. This number is very useful for you and your doctor to trend how well your medication therapy is going and if it is even working at all!

Sometimes peak flow numbers will decrease hours, or even a day or two, before COPD symptoms become evident. When you monitor peak flow numbers on a daily (or regular) basis, you can identify this drop and take steps to prevent COPD exacerbations. The peak flow numbers, along with watching for COPD symptoms can be used to make decisions about your ephysema treatment.

You should contact your physician about this. Its real easy for him to get one of these. A skill Respiratory Therapist would be best to show you how to properly use it.

I appologize to you for the nurses mistake here. Hopefully she will write back and correct herself. If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at my home email.

Andy, RRT, CPFT
***@****

CT...

Andy, RRT, CPFT
***@****

It would appear this is a miss understanding here, my breathing tests/s have nothing to do with any therapy, doctor ordered or otherwise....I am on 1 liter of oxygen day and night as prescribed by my doctor.
This testing is simply something I am doing to give me a guideline as to how my lungs function. I remove my oxygen during the day for hours at a time.
Inhale or exhale, there must be some benefit in knowing my lung volume will go up or down with or without the use of medications/inhalers.
Thank You for all interests and replies.
I guess what I am trying to say is, the device you are using is not a ay to trend or benchmark figures. The incentive spirometer is an effort dependant device and only measures lung VOLUME. Although, COPD and the diseases associated with COPD can effect lung volume, it is not a problem for patients getting air INTO their lungs...its getting the air OUT of the lungs.

You are just measuring how deep a breath you are taking...that will not change with medication or oxygen therapy. what will change is how you exhale. Exhalation times will vary according to disease states and of course exacerbations. Medications like Albuterol are fast acting and can show patient changes in lung function by using a peak flow meter.

I promise you. Using the incentive spiromter is not showing you anything valuable. The varying measurements you are seeing are not related to your therapies whatsoever. You'll be able to take a deep breath (and measure it) with or without your medication or wearing your oxygen.

What you need is a peakflow meter.

Andy, RRT, CPFT
Thank You!