Respiratory Disorders Community
Intense cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Intense cough

Whenever I have a cold or a virus it turns into an intense cough at the end that lasts 2-3 weeks or even more some times. The cough is so intense that my chest hurts and I cannot sleep at night because of it. No fluids come out when I cough. I just feel my throat being ticklish and I want to "scratch" it. The cough is constant and I spit blood often. This happens almost every time I have a cold or a virus. Why is this? Is there something wrong with my throat / pharynx / larynx / etc? Is this something chronic? Whom should I go see? Please help. I can't take this any more... Thanks
Do you take blood pressure meds? Some cause this. I had the same exact problem. Finally they found a small cyst on my thyroid. I would check both out. Let me know, I am curious now.
Brooke
Hi Brooke and thanks for your response and interest. I do not take any kind of medication. I am 26 years old, healthy, athletic, fit. I had one surgery in my life when I was 18 and that was for a cyst in my throat but I never thought this could be the reason for my cough as it just appeared a few years ago and it is associated to having a cold or a virus. I would love to hear everyone's input on this. Thank you.
Brooke, was your problem chronic or only linked to having a cold etc? Thanks
Do these two pranayam (breathing exercises) to build up your immune system, with the extra oxygen going into your blood.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

For cough:
make half a glass of onion juice and warm the juice,
add ginger powder and honey,
and drink it slowly.
This will help the cough.
Do not eat banana when you have cough.