Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Interstitial Lung Disease and Swollen lymph nodes

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hi, I was diagnosed with ILD and Bronchiectasis by ct scan. Here are the scan results... Feb 2005 Impression:    Diffuse Bilateral Ground glass type Interstitial lung disease    

There are extensive interstitial changes throughout the lung fields.these involve the apices as well as the lung  bases. It is heterogeneos in appearance but involves both lungs.Small calcified granuloma is noted. There is also focal atelectasis or scarring. It go's on to say some thing about lymph nodes in the mediastimum. one cm or smaller           March 2005  scan #2  There are mild scattered areas of ground glass type interstitial changes in both upper and lower lobes. There are focal areas of bibasilar bronchiectasis. Scattered mediastinal lymph nodes are again noted. There is a single 1.5 cm node in the AP window. Other lymph nodes are less than a cm. Correlation is requested. I had a pulmo that I seen one time and he was not knolagable of ILD so I haven't found a Doc yet. Can you please tell me what these scans mean and if I should seek a doctor quickly due to the lymph node in the ap window? Could these finding be a source of chest pain?  Thank You
Inflammation causes damage to the airways of the lungs.  When the airways become dilated this is called bronchiolectasis.  When the airways become distorted with areas where mucus can collect this is called bronchiectasis.  Please read our Bronchiectasis MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/bronchiectasis.html for further information.

Interstitial lung disease (ILD) is swelling that leads to scarring of the lungs in the area between the air sacs and the blood vessels.  Please read our Interstitial Lung Disease MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/interstitial.html for further information.

You should see a pulmonary specialist, familiar with ILD and its treatment, soon.  The lymph nodes are most likely related to the ILD and not otherwise worrisome.  If you have no pulmonary specialist knowledgeable about these x-ray changes, in your region, you should make an appointment to be seen at the nearest university medical center.

With swollen lymph nodes, this could be the disease called sarcoidosis.
I don't know where you are located, but if you are anywhere near a teaching hospital that would be your best bet for finding someone experienced with ILDs.  I am not very good at interpretting CT Scan results, but the first thing that popped in my mind is Sarcoid. This is a treatable condition and the sooner you can get a diagnosis pinned down, the better!

Lori
Also my primary doc gave me Bupap, and I am wondering if this could hurt me? Slow RR?
Blood work for RA, Lupus ect.. was told, is in normal range.