Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Is Chronic Bronchitis Contagious?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Is Chronic Bronchitis Contagious?
My doctor told me I had chronic bronchitis and I now take medication (Advair) for it but I want to know if chronic bronchitis is contagious. I know that acute bronchitis is contagious but I didn't think chronic bronchitis was. I'm asking because my boyfriend says that everyday after he sees me his throat feels sore and he starts coughing a lot with a lot of mucus. I smoke and he doesn't.
Chronic bronchitis is seldom contagious.  But if you ever want to get rid of the chronic bronchitis, and you should want to clear it up, you will have to stop smoking.  Your boyfriend's sore throat and cough is probably from your smoking in his presence.  If you are the least bit interested in smoking cessation, call the QuitLine at 1 (800) QUIT NOW (784-8669).

Good luck.
No , at least I was told no .

I have a cross between chronic bronchitis and asthma ( no DX name )since 2005 .

I've lived with my GF for approx. 18 years , and she doesn't have the symptoms .
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker