Is a dry cough with other symptoms from chest or lungs?
This is long but I thought this would be the only way to get answers by being complete so I really appreciate if you would take the time.
I am a
28 year old
1 child, currently on the Mirena IUD
Don’t Smoke or do drugs
I feel like something is constantly wrong with me, I mean if I had a horse in my shape, I'd shoot him (not really).
I am wondering if all of my problems may be related to be a much bigger problem. I am here because I feel like I keep going in with yet another problem and I dont want to keep complaining sounding like a complete hypochondriac.
Right now I have had various symptoms on and off for 5 weeks now. I have been to the Dr. and was put on different medications. My husband and 4 year old were sick at the beginning of this period as well but with completely different symptoms. I have coughed on them, kissed them, and my husband even accidently used my toothbrush and they are both healthy as can be. So is everyone else I have been around. So I am really puzzled to see what you all think.
- Pressure in my sinuses
- Dry cough
- Felt like there was something in my throat but I couldn't swallow to make it feel better. I would swallow and swallow and swallow and couldn't get down what feels like a blockage in my throat. It feels like there is a lot of drainage that I couldn’t cough up or hack up.
- Hoarse voice on and off, It even will switch in the middle of a sentence
1st office visit I was prescribed:
- Flovent hfa110mcg inhaler 12gm- 2-3 every 12 hours
- Fluticasone nasal spray (120inh) 16gm- 1 spray in each nostril every 8 hrs for 2 days and then 1 spray every 12 hours.
- I also took regular Mucinex during this time
9 days later after finishing the Z-pack I called the Dr. having trouble still.
- Hoarse voice
- Dry Cough continued
- Water blister looking sores on my tongue
- A few white round sores on my soft palate and gums (I don’t have tonsils)
- It felt like pop rocks in my throat
*Nashua and clammy mostly towards the afternoon and at the end of the day, but it wasn’t like a typical cold I have ever had. The mornings I felt fine besides the dry cough constantly and still feeling like I couldn’t clear my throat.
-Doxycycline hyclate 100mg tablets (2 tabs daily)
-Continued with the nasal spray and inhaler
-Did a salt water rinse for mouth sores
10 days later I felt little to no change- sores were gone but my cough was worse. It felt like there were scabs in my throat (this had happened 6 years ago and lasted a lot longer and was so bad that I couldn’t even swallow but the Dr. just game me this numbing mouthwash and slowly and painfully went away) I felt and still feel like I cant get a deep productive cough. I also experienced more thick clear mucus drainage from my nose (like the texture of Jell-o). Sometimes I could cough and get a little up but I really had to try.*****I had to tuck my chin and pull back in order to feel like I had a slightly successful cough***** and there was some blood streaks in it sometimes. But I still didn’t feel like it was cleared. I also had more than usual bloody noses.
So I went in to my Dr. he listened to my lungs and said they sounded fine.
I was the prescribed-
-Amox-Clav 875Mg twice daily for 2 weeks
-Hydrocod/acetaminophen 7.5-500 liq
I am on my 9th day today
I still feel like I cant get a deep productive cough and the cough syrup only helps some. Still a lot of blowing my nose with the result of more and more clear thick mucus, and Clogged ears on and off
Some other random symptoms:
-I woke up with a fluid and blood soaked circle on the bed about the diameter of a desert plate so I don’t know if it was from my nose or my mouth.
-Had a really bad shallow cough attack at a stadium were they had a few fireworks when the players came out this past weekend when we went out of town.
-any time I get a breeze or have air directly on me it starts an attack recently so does talking and deep breaths
-if I lay reclined back with my knees bent and back curved I cough more.
- I have had red eyes during this time as well
- and blurred vision up close on and off but it may be from the Phenergan I had to take for my shoulder and any time I have codeine or other strong pain pill.
I have looked up on the Internet and I thought I would ask about my specific problems because I was relating to different posts here and there but nobody's exactly.
Some other medical background that may be important:
Currently on these meds:
codeine cough syrup
- Bi-polar (not the super crazy one)
- slight hypoglycemia
- I had seasonal allergies as a kid had - shots bi-weekly for that but they are not currently close to what they were.
-and whatever this current thing is I have no idea
Some things that I have had over the past years and a little background:
- I had a terrible memory and sometimes speech problem and trouble concentrating- I related it to all my head hits- I have had close to 10 or more slight concussions/hard hits to the head
- I have had colonoscopies none of which came back problematic with the last one about 5 or more years or more ago.
- I have had something the size of a baseball right there under my sternum and I cant feel it right now hmmm in that spot. If I would stroke it by pushing it downward it wouldn’t move much. I don’t know if it may have gone away when a few months ago I was woke up with this extreme heartburn like I have NEVER felt before, it was horrible. It felt like something had popped and was acidic ally eating me out from the inside.
- I had shoulder surgery on my right arm 2 years ago because I was in constant extreme pain and it came on suddenly, fast and extreme. My arm and hand progressively became more and more purple and black I was getting very little circulation. I had to hold my arm in a really specific position in order to get any relief at all. The only thing I could think that it may be as a result of was a 4 wheeler accident a month prior or a work out injury that I didn’t feel immediately. They thought I had bursitis but they injected me with steroids and nerve blocks but to no relief. I was in a constant high level of pain. Nothing notable or major came back on my MRI scans. They did the die tests too. Even when they were doing the surgery all they said they saw was inflammation and a slight split of my bicep. I thought there was for sure more but I could never pin point the pain. So they reattached my bicep with pins and enlarged the hole in my clavicle where the artery and nerves pass. But to this day I still have pain in my shoulder and bicep on and off. However, my circulation is better.
- Have bad tooth pain on my lower right jaw and lower right teeth so they did a filling to no avail and then a crown but it still hurts and they said that it was prob nerve related and that eventually the nerve would die so basically just live with it.
-Every now and again I get what feels like a slap of a giant rubber band on the right side of the face, prob 5 times a year
-I get really bad what feels like cramps under my breast bones which I thought were from anxiety attacks but it is never in stressful situations. And never directly over my heart.
-In the past I would rarely feel any difference when taking pain pills or drinking large amount of alcohol. Now I either get wasted from alcohol and cant even talk without slurring my speech after drinking just a few sips or I can have an extreme amount and be fine.
- I have always been constipated and have been in the hospital about 4 times thinking I was dying but it was just trapped gas
- I had a 9.7 ovarian cyst and emergency removal 10 years ago and a small one orthoscopic ally last year
- Breast augmentation (saline) 8 years ago
- Have a 4 year old and currently on the mirena IUD
- If I exhale as far as I can I get that hoarse wheezing end of the exhale (dunno if that’s typical) or if I have my back pushed on while laying down same thing happens
- Abdominal bloating (mainly at the end of the day) to the point sometimes it looks like I am 8 months pregnant. Worse recently. The upper abdomen is flat and then it bulges out.
That’s all I can think of for now but things keep popping in to my head but the is a start… LONG start. ☺
Understand your predicament. Cough is a protective mechanism to bring out secretions from the lungs, to prevent infections. The other causes for long term cough besides asthma are GERD and post nasal drip from allergies. GERD is gastro esophageal reflux disease where the stomach acids come back into the esophagus and spill into the wind pipe causing cough. Treatment with antacids will help neutralize the acids. Post nasal drips can occur with sinusitis and throat infections. Giving up cigarettes will abolish smoker's cough in 90% of people. Talk to your GP about the other causes for cough in the meantime you could try warm salt water gargles and breathing exercises.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.