Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Is there a chance this isn't cancer?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Is there a chance this isn't cancer?

I know there's no answer fo my fear but I just have to get this out--ALL reposnses will be appreciated. My husband had a violent coughing spasm last Friday and he coughed up about a teaspoon full of blood. He has been wheezing (not coughing) for the past couple of months. He went to the Dr on Monday morning for another non-related reason and told this to the Dr. She gave him a chest x-ray and it shows a white area on his lower right lung probably about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in size. She is referring him for a CT scan next week. His comprehensive metabolic panel can back normal according to his Dr. she prescribed an inhaler also because she thinks the wheezing is allergies. I did notice that his glucose was high (108) He has heart disease that is being treated through drug theraphy. He also has PAD. He was a smoker until he had to have surgery for a blocked carotid artery. He had a stent placed in his heart artery last year but it was not an emergency procedure. his carduioligist wanted to do an angiogram to check for increased blockage and elected to do a stent because he thought here may have been some slight increase in blockage. He routinely goes for checkups with his primary Dr and cardioligist. He also has bad sleep apnea tat he refuses to treat with the ventilating mask . . . His father had emphasema. I am very, very concened about a lung cancer diagnosis.
Praying for anything else . . . thanks for listening. My husband is not a talker and he doesn't want me to say anything to anyone until he has scan results. I am a talked so that's the hardest thing for me to do . . . Is there a chance this is not cancer?
Yes there is a chance that this is not cancer.  The interpretation of the “white area” that you describe would depend in large measure on its appearance and the significance of that appearance as judged by the Radiologist, more likely to be specific when the CT Scan is done.  It could be a tumor (benign or malignant) or, for that matter could be a collection of blood.  His coughing up blood is worrisome but, once again, need not be a sign of cancer.  
The CT Scan should be helpful in deciding what should be the next diagnostic step but it may also be necessary for him to have a bronchoscopy, an exam that would be most likely to provide a specific diagnosis.
I wish I could be more specific but that is just not possible.  Please try to keep an open mind regarding diagnoses other than lung cancer because that is actually a real possibility.

Good luck to you and your husband.