Respiratory Disorders Community
Itchy Throat & Coughing Attacks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Itchy Throat & Coughing Attacks

I had my usual yearly bout with Bronchitis in December. Around late January, I had an acute attack of itchy throat accompanied by a horrible non productive cough. Along with the cough I get a metallic taste of blood in the back of my throat. The attack can last for hours or until I break a allergy capsule in my mouth and swallow it without water, that and over regular antihistamines keep it down for a day or so, then I have another attack.

I live in the south and at this month of March our pollen count is up around 5000...it is considered high at 95, needless to say it is a allergy nightmare here and it usually keeps on throughout the year. I have read similar forums about these symptoms.Everyone seems to discuss their doctors and medicines, but I would like to know where they live. Do you consider that. Do people in the desert have these problems?

I cannot see a doctor in my country, so I have to surf the net and self medicate. An alkaline diet will help with most anything. I have also been able to stop my coughing fits and itchy throat by simply wearing a good filter mask over my nose and mouth. You see the Japanese wearing them alot. They know!

I hope this information is useful to some of you, sometimes a problem is as plain as the nose on your face....covered by a mask.

Now I must go operate on my ingrown toenail-deaden it with Ora-gel and dig away.

God Bless The U.S.A

This discussion is related to Constant throat clearing and cough.
hi i am 30 yrs old male from india.i am having some problem since more than 1.5 years.i do throat clearing all the time .more throat clearing after eating. as if a small mucus is stucked in my throat,which is not comming out.i was admitted for this in hospital.they have lots of tests including ct scan of chest,mri scan of throat,barium meal,endoscopy,24 hr esophagal ph monitoring,usg,blood tests.all are normal.no GERD.what should i do now?
please help me.

one thing i must tell u.this started at sep.2009.at that time,one day i sprayed baygon spray(for killing bugs and moquitoes) in my room ,and then i had to sleep in that room.since then my problem increased.there was some smell of spray.

i am doing this for 1 and half years.now i cant cough and hawk anymore.pls help. ..

Dear Yusuf, 5 yrs ago I sprayed spider spray in my sons bedroom. The next day I got the worst case of croupy laryngitis with difficulty breathing.This turned into asthma. In addition to this I suffered my  whole life with headaches, achy joints, dry bloodshot eyes chronic cough,.dizziness and nausea at times.    The asthma was when I hit bottom.  I was short of breath for a month. The Drs gave me an antibiotic, prednisone and had me on a nebulizer but nothing helped. I thought I was gonna die.  I knew I was allergic to aspirin and that aspirin is a salicylate that comes from the bark of the willow tree. I wondered if any foods contained salicylates so I typed in" Foods containing Salicylates". To my horror I saw     hundreds of foods that I was eating everyday. It turns out that all plants produce salicylates as natural insecticides. so it was in all fruit ( except bananas, peeled pears and papaya) in all vegetables( except green beans, peas, lettuce,celery, cabbage and brussel sprouts) it is very high in tomato sauce, broccoli and cucumbers,tea, coffee, vinegar and Olive oil. It is very high in spices like pepprika, oregano, basil, mint, and curry.   I can have canola oil and rice vinegar.     Anyway I gave up all salicylates and 2 days later all my symptoms got better. You should check out the site www.salicylatesensitivity.com and check out the book, "Salicylate Intolerance and The Healthier I Ate the Sicker I Got" for a complete list of foods to avoid and symptoms. Good luck, Joan