Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Kid Coughing
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Kid Coughing

My 3yo daughter has been coughing near a month. Sent her to see paed for twice.  Medicine was changed twice too and still cannot see improvement.  She still cough seriously especially in the dawn. What should I do?
242587_tn?1355427710
You are right to be concerned.  I suggest that you make an appointment with her pediatrician for reevaluation and an opportunity for you to ask exactly what he/she believes is going on.  It may well be that her doctor has determined the cause of cough with reasonable certainty and concluded that the cough has a benign cause and will resolve with the passage of time.  If that is the case, it would be reassuring to hear that from him/her.  There are many possible causes of a sustained cough including but not limited to whooping cough (pertussis), pneumonia, asthma, an underlying lung disease such as cystic fibrosis, or aspiration of a foreign body.

Persistence of a cough for a month, without a diagnosis, may warrant reevaluation and additional testing.  If your daughter’s physician is uncertain about the diagnosis or believes that further investigation is not indicated, you may want to want to ask about consideration of a second opinion.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank