Respiratory Disorders Community
Lamictal and Lung Damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Lamictal and Lung Damage

My daughter takes lamictal for seizures shortly after beginning the lamictal she developed a tight cough.This began over a year ago.  People are often commenting about it asking her if she needs water or if she is sick. She has seen a pediatric pulmonologist who recognized that she is having difficulty breathing but is unsure of the cause. Nebulizer treatments and oral inhalers are not helping, however last week she was admitted to the hospital for a video EEG and was  taken off of lamictal during that time. Remarkably  the cough stopped. I tried asking the doctors about this but they were more concrened with the seizures and just reminded me to watch out for Steven Johnson Syndrome.  I am very concerned because she is back on the medicine and the coughing is back. I am just wondering if there are any cases of lamictal causing lung damage or affecting the lungs.
I would discus this with her neurologist.  Perhaps there is a different medcine she could be taking to control seizures.  Unfortunately cough is a side effect of a lot of medicines, but hopefully the doctor would have some other options available.  If you are concerned about the medicine/coughing causing damage to her lungs, you might consider treating the cough side effect with something (however, that is a good way to build up a long list of meds).

I pray that you find a workable solution.
I would say that your observations are important and that her team of physicians should consider the possibility of drug induced cough even tho it is not commonly observed
Hi Jetta
My Gosh, your daughters situation sounds just like mine. Im also on lamictal for seizures and when I titred up to 325mg, I started getting this annoying cough too. Its there all the time. My ears also feel clogged and make me really dizzy and unstable. I dont know why it started at this dose...its really strange. Im hoping to go down a notch and see if it helps. Let me know if you find out more...