Respiratory Disorders Community
Large Saddle Embolism - What should I expect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

n November, I was at my MFM/GYN appointment. I was 23 weeks pregnant at the time, I had been on bed rest during the previous week. My cervix was opening a little and that is what I chose as an option (also took Precardia, in the event I was having contractions and didn't know it). I was now there to see if the bed rest worked. The examination now showed that I had dilated 1 cm. So he wanted to get a Cerclage, he explained the risks, but I accepted them. He called the ambulance and had me transported to the hospital he worked out of (I had taken the train). After being there for hours, they examined me to make sure all was well, once they did, I had dilated another 1.5 cm. Now, the cerclage was not an option.

I was admitted to the hospital for bed rest. My MFM came and explained to me all that was going on and what they were going to do for me. About 3 days into my stay, I started to sneak to the bathroom. This ultimately saved my life. But as I would walk a few steps back to my bed I couldn't breathe and I became dizzy. One night the nurse caught me and when I told her I felt that way, she said it was bc I hadn't been moving. Im not a nurse, so I took her word for it. However, I would keep telling my nurses that my chest hurt, I'm breathing funny, my back hurts, and they ALL said it was my positioning in the bed. On the 6th day or so, I told my dr. she then ordered tests. She read my charts and saw that my oxygen level went down to 95%. She proceeded to yell at the nurse for not telling her right away.

I went for a Scan and it was determined that I have a large Saddle Embolus along with other emboli. I was rushed to OB ICU and put on heparin. Blood was getting taken every few hrs, LOADS of doctors with their students were coming by everyday gawking over me. One doctor came in and said that in his 25 years of being a doctor I was his second case of having such a large Saddle Embolus and being able to talk, move and breathe so easy. My oxygen was at 98%, heart rate rarely went past 105. I was not fully grasping how close to death I was, so I was just nonchalant about it. I then went into preterm labor. When the doctor came and explained to me the likelihood that I may die on the table, thats when it hit me. They rushed me into the OR and when I arrived there were about 40 doctors in that small room. Thank God, I made it, I needed a transfusion though. About a week after giving birth, I was transferred out of ICU and given my own room.

I found out after I left ICU that my blood was 0.96 when I arrived at the ICU. They sent me home about 2 weeks after being transferred. My blood was at 1.7 when I left. I had to go, bc I contracted MSSA while there. I was on antibiotics and had to get a PICC line bc I was going to be receiving Ancef when I got home. I am also on Coumadin (5mg).

My question now is: How long is recovery? Will the clot go away? What type of problems will I have during recovery? I am currently having nightsweats and daily chest pains.