Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Laryngitis, chronic dry cough, upper chest

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

For 9 months now I have had a recurrent dry cough leading to laryngitis. I have recently developed a lot of phlegm coming up in morning only and some post nasal drip. I have had PFT(normal), chest CTSCAN (normal), Gastroscopy (normal).  I have been diagnosed with GERD, Tracheitis, virus.  I am going out of my mind.  These problems started when I inherited 2 cats, but blood test revealed no allergy to cats.  One doctor feels this may be related to being on Tapozole for 4 years now due to hyperthyroidism (Graves disease).  Unfortunatley, I cannot stop my meds for that.  When I use a peak flow meter my measurments vary but I think they are normal(PEF 424, FEV 1 3.14).  I am 48 Y.O. 5'1" and 120lbs.  Is there anything I can take for this chronic cough/inflammation that will cure it?  My doc. doesn't want to start me on inhaler because he doesn't hear any wheezing.  Would it be dangerous to try a steroid inhaler?  There are a lot of cold-related meds. I can't take due to hyperthyroidism.  Thsnk you.
Your history suggests that the phlegm and cough are related.  Postnasal drip is one of the most common causes of chronic cough.  The negative blood test to cat does not rule out cat allergy.  That could be the cause of the phlegm, especially since the problem began when you inherited 2 of cats.

The negative gastroscopy reduces the likelihood of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).  I did a search and could find no evidence of cough due to tapazole.  I believe that is a most unlikely cause, especially since you have been taking it for3 years prior to the onset of your cough.

Check with your doctor about being treated for allergic rhinitis with nasal washes, followed by a nasal steroid spray, and possibly also with a leukotriene antagonist such as Singulair
I am a 48 yr old woman and have developed a raspy voice over the last year.  I have a cough every now and then. I have a lot of drainage. I thought maybe it was hormonal, but the doctors are telling me it isn't.  I am tired all the time and have trouble breathing when going up stairs. I do have asthma.  But I have been working with a few doctors. I would suggest you try a pulmonary doctor if you haven't.  Or try a rhuemetologist. I have had numerous bloods tests, don't have some results back yet. But a lot of my symptoms are pointing to my thyroid which they said my blood test for that is ok.  But then I was told it's not always ok even though the reading is normal.  I am sympathetic to your symptoms, my husband is annoyed that with seeing so many doctors they can't find the problem. I will be seeing an asthma/allergy doctor this week too, but feel it could be a waste of time. Being as these things got worse when I started having perimenopause symptoms.  
     Good luck
Thank you for your comments.  I have seen a pulmonologist and rheumatologist and because I have Graves disease I am regularly monitored by an endocrinologist.  I too have had many blood tests and breathing test.  I guess the part that is the most frustrating is that my doctors don't agree with each other.  For instance, 2 of them feel that being on meds. for hyperthyroid for almost 4 years is ludicrous and could be causing some of my problems.  The endo. that treats me specifically for this feels that there is nothing wrong with being on the meds.  I will tell you regarding my own experience with thyroid disease, I was tested about 1 1/2 years before my diagnosis and my thytoid was normal.  By the time I realized there was something terribly wrong (I had to beg my pcp to test my thyroid) I was sooo hyperthyroid.  I will say that I was having major gyno. problems at the time and had complete hysterectomy.  I just think that each person knows their own body better than anyone else and if your not feeling "right" then keep pursuing help (albeit very tiresome and frustrating).  Good luck to you.
After a car accident in October 2000, I have had all of the symptoms you are describing.  I use WELL MAX (Biochem Country Life)  To clear up my sinus.  I take 2 three times a day for 10 days.  It works as a natural antibiotic (it clears lungs and breathing passages also).  And it seems to keep me healthy.  At the first sign of cold or sinus, I start taking them.   I also have been told it stops or controls asthma.   I have found that WELL MAX can be used with other medicines, but check with your doctor if you are worried. Good Luck.
A related discussion, Can Endoscopy cause  chronic laryngitis? was started.
A related discussion, dry cough & chest rash was started.
A related discussion, voice problem was started.