Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Lingering sore throat problem, very confused

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have had this reccuring sore throat going on past 2 months now and I am confused as to what it can be. I'm a 24 year old male and this has never happened to me before. I've had pretty good health pretty much all my life. About a month ago I went to the doc and he looked at my throat and just gave me a seven day course of antibiotics, it helped but it just seems to be coming back and not going away. I've also had stuffed nose for a few days now, but that usually happens around the spring time. I know this is not an std forum but I was wondering if the sexual exposre I had 3 months ago could have anything to do with it, (unprotected vaginal sex for 2 minutes) I have already tested negative for Hiv 3 times out to 9 weeks and have taken some other std test which are negative. The throat got worse when I would smoke a cigarette, so for about 2 weeks now I havent smoked. What do you think I should do? What test can I take for my thraot to see whats wrong with it? What are some of the causes of a sore throat lingering for a few months? sorry to make it so long but I am just confused as to what it can be, hopefully you can help me out, I know nobody can make a firm diagnosis over the internet but any information would be great. Thank you so much in advance.
The most common cause of a recurrent sore throat is post-nasal drip. This is usually caused by either an allergy or infection.  It sounds like you are HIV negative but, if you were positive, the sore throat could be from one or more of the unusual (opportunistic) infections seen with AIDS.

Sore throats can also be caused by tumors.

You need to go back to your doctor or see a specialist.  You should see someone who specializes in throat diseases and/or is knowledgeable about sexually transmitted diseases.
Read the thread about recurring sore throat started by virgogirl73. Have you been tested for Mono? You're in the right age group....

Just a thought...