Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Long term sinus problem

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Long term sinus problem

I'm 41, female, and I've never smoked. I have had a problem for years of always having a clogged up nose, all year round. It's worse in the mornings, and slowly as I blow my nose throgh the day, all the gunk comes out and I can breath easily - or at least I don't feel like my airway is obstructed anymore. It's not bad enough that it causes me breathing problems, but is very annoying. It's not runny mucas. It's dried clumps, a light green/yellow colour I think, and often tinted with a bit of red (blood?). It's always dry and hard, and stuck to the inside of my nose, often quite high up in the nasil passage. But it is like this EVERY SINGLE DAY. Once had a doctor give me a nasil spray, which made my nose bleed, even though he swore it wouldn't do that. Help!! Renee
This is most likely a nonallergic condition that is fairly common and called vasomotor rhinitis.  It is uncommon for allergic nasal symptoms to be as persistent as you have described.  There are several prescription nasal sprays and a few decongestants that may help the symptoms, but not eliminate them.  I would speak to your physician again about trying another of the nasal steroids sprays.  They are effective and safe.
You sound like the perfect candidate for nasal irrigation.  You can read up on it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jala_neti

I've been using a neti pot to clean out my sinuses for over a year now and can say I've definitely noticed an improvement.  Like you I regularly woke up with dried blockages inside my nasal passages, but after loosening the material up in the shower and clearing it with a neti pot I can breathe pretty well without the chronic nose-blowing or use of decongestants.  

I got my neti pot at the nearest Whole Foods market but you can read up more on the technique and other pots here: http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/product/neti.html

Good luck!