Respiratory Disorders Community
Loss of Voice, Short of Breath, tongue burning, tinnitus, fatigue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Is there anyone out there with similar symptoms?  I first lost my voice in Sept. 2008 and was originally diag. with Spasmodic Dysphonia (Adductor Type).  Shortly after, I became short of breath and hence developed anxiety.  I lost 40 pounds and was underweight...it has been quite a journey.  In Nov. 2010 my voice returned spontaneously for 6 week, still short of breath.  Then my voice deteriorated to "zero" voice.  I have tightness in my throat and neck.  I saw a new neurologist last month who believes I have muscle tension dysphonia.  I'm not sure what all the added symptoms are about, including burning in my chest, throat and tongue, fatigue, night sweats, joint pain, tingling in hands and feet, tinnitus 24/7, I have a feeling of sickness all the time.  I am not a hypochondriac..I have had good health until now.  Menopause at 54, then all this started.  It makes me wonder if hormonal changes have anything to do with my current state of health.  I have had a multitude of tests by many doctors, including a heart chemical stress test, EKG, Brain MRI, CT of lungs, Pulmonary Function Test, Allergy testing, Thryoid Ultrasound, Blood tests for a multitude of ailments, Endoscopy for acid reflux (which did show acid in esophagus), but ALL OTHER TESTS are NEGATIVE.  The only test that I recently had was a muscle function test (along with the pulmonary function test).  My pulmonologist said my muscle test was not good, in fact, I am in a very weakend state.  He wants me to start physical therapy to help me strengthen and rebuild.  I am confused...how did I become so weak, is this why I get so short of breath on exertion?  
After seeing 5 ENT specialists all over the country, I sitll do not have a definitive diagnosis.  I am having a lung biopsy to test for mold/fungus and sarcoidosis.  I want to feel well again....it has been 3.5 years and no answers.  
Any insight from anyone who has similar symptoms woujld be so appreciate.....I feel like I'm the only one with all these symptoms and no answers.  There IS something terribly wrong in my body and I feel like I'm deteriorating more and more as time goes on.  I trust God to lead me to an answer and stand in faith it will happen.  I'm just tired.

This discussion is related to Chronic out of breath.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The throat tightness and fatigue can also happen due to iron deficiency anemia causing Plummer-Vinson syndrome, where there changes to the soft lining of the throat. This can be detected by a blood test. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.