Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Loss of taste and smell
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Loss of taste and smell

I have a life long history of allergies and two years I was diagnosed with asthma. I work with the government inspecting poultry plants. Last Thanksgiving I lost my sense of taste and smell.  Actually everything tasted or smelled like rotten citrus. After several months it changed to a burning wood smell. A ENT told me to use a saline nasal wash as many as four times a day or more. I visited a plant two days ago and after one day I noticed after the first day that the citrus smell and taste was back.  Two workers in the plant have the exact same symptoms.   I was only able to talk to one of the ladies who told me that she had gotten some better but still had the same symptoms.  She told me that she had also developed the condition around Thanksgiving of last year. We both were in agreement that we could distinguish tastes such as sweet, sour and salty.  But could not distinguish various foods by taste.  I am wondering if this could possibly be from a chemical that is being used in this plant, possibly a cleaning solution.  The only areas that we have in common other than hallways is the same set of bathrooms. I plan on reporting this through official channels Tuesday.  I am wondering though what type doctor do I need to see and if this condition is reversable?  Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.